What I did on my spring vacation

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

What I did on my spring vacation

Postby Treerooster » July 11th, 2012, 12:36 am

I was going to write a few detailed stories about some of my hunts this past season when I could get around to it…but I can’t find my tuit.

So here is a short synopses of my 2012 season.

Hunted a total of 41 days and traveled just over 6700 miles.
Killed 11 gobblers total and helped 2 guys kill a bird also.
My kill was;
3 Merriam toms and 1 jake…2 in Neb and 2 in MT
5 eastern toms and 1 jake…1 in Neb and 5 in Wis
1 rio tom in Ks

Started off with the Neb early archery season and hunted with my new crossbow. Got this one in SE Neb in the evening and had 6 or 8 hens within 10 yards of me (some at 5 yards) and killed the tom at 15 yards as he strutted next to 2 other toms. He had 5 beards.

Then I went to NW Neb a few days before the shotgun opener and tried with my crossbow. Got close several times but couldn’t seal the deal. After shotgun season opened and on my last morning there I killed a tom that snuck in by me with 2 hens. The hens were at 10 yards before I even saw them. The tom was just over the hill and I managed to get my gun on him as he came over the hill. Killed him at 18 yards. No pic on that guy.

That same afternoon I had headed back to camp after the hunt and was having a snack in my tenet when I thought I heard a gobble (I wasn’t sure as I had my hearing aids out then). I put my aids back in and made a call outside the tent. He was CLOSE! Got my gun and vest on real quick and went down the trail 40 yards and set up. Made a call and got the gun up. Shot him at 22 yards as he came up over the lip of the hill. I was still in my camp slippers when I got him.

Then I went straight to NE Colo to help my friend James get a rio. He drew a tag for the area and I didn’t. We had a fantastic hunt! Set up on a roost and had a great show but didn’t connect. Went to a spot I thought would be good and I called 2 gobblers across the river. The first one I could have shot at 20 yards but James couldn’t get a shot. The next one came in perfect about an hour later and James nailed him. He had about 1 3/8 spurs and was BANDED!!!

Then it was off to MT to hook up with montana mcs. I got a tom the first day about 11:00 after not hearing a thing and hunting up one side of a valley a couple miles and down the other. Called him across the valley and up a very steep slope.

A couple days later I got on some roosted birds and sort of spooked them after they were on the ground a while. There was several gobblers and I saw a tom and a jake together at about 45 yards. They were going back & forth a lot and I lost track of which one was the tom. Finally I had a shot at one and took it. It was the jake. No pic.

Then on our last day I went with Mike (montana mcs) and called for him. We had a really neat hunt in the dust and the tom and the deer. But I will let him tell you that story.

Then I headed to Wis but on my way there I decided to hit Ks. I left super early and heard some birds at dawn but couldn’t get on them. I just guessed where they might be in the evening and called in a nice tom at about 6:30. He had 1 7/16 spurs and the most curved spurs I have ever got. Forgot the camera at the truck so by the time I got back it was almost dark.

Wis was berry berry good to me…eh? I got there during 4th season. It was a tough hunt at first and I managed to kill a gobbler on the last day of 4th season with just 20 minutes to spare before I had to leave to go on a hunt in central Wis.

Then I met some guys from the T&TH forum for a hunt in Central Wis during 5th season. It was great to yap some turkey with those guys and we also got to have lunch with T&TH editor Brian Lovett at the T&TH offices in Wis. The hunting was tough but I did manage to shoot a jake on the last evening and then miss a tom on the last morning…but that’s enough about that. No pic.

Then it was back up to my cabin for 6th season and the birds where working great. I felt that if I found a gobbler on the roost I could call him in. I got on a bird on my land one evening and thought I might call him in right then. He was hot and gobbled about 20 times (rare for a bird to gobble in the evening there) but would not come in. He roosted on my place though and I was there early the next morning. I got in tight…real tight. When he finally gobbled I was only 40 yards away and I could see him in the tree. He flew down towards where he heard all that calling the evening before but the cover was thick and I could not see him even though he was only 20 to 30 yards away. A couple calls on a mouth call and I could hear him drumming. Finally saw that “light bulb” white head and got him at 15 yards. This was the first turkey I ever killed on my land. I took a pic of the drummer on a grouse drumming log.

A couple days later I got on another gobbler and got within 30 yards or so but couldn’t get a shot. He had hens with him and they went on their way. Next morning I was more zeroed in on him and called him right in off the roost. Got him at 25 yards. No pic.

My last morning to hunt I managed to find another gobbler before flydown and was within about 100 yards of him when he hit the ground. He came right in and I had my last bird of the season. I took some time for a cup of coffee and to reflect a bit before packing up and heading home.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Gopherlongbeards

Re: What I did on my spring vacation

Postby Gopherlongbeards » July 11th, 2012, 8:25 am

Nice pictures as usual treerooster, sounds like a great season. You sure got to see a lot of beautiful sunrises this past spring!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 11th, 2012, 8:56 am

Treerooster wrote:My kill was;
3 Merriam toms and 1 jake…2 in Neb and 2 in MT
5 eastern toms and 1 jake…1 in Neb and 5 in Wis
1 rio tom in Ks

;) And to think, you were about to give up on WI :o , don't even think about it- :lol: Unless you want to kill half as many turkeys. :lol:
Congratulations on a great spring hunt.

Let's get on to fall, I am tired of heat, humidity and bugs. But the poults are taking over the countryside.
Last edited by charlie elk on July 11th, 2012, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » July 11th, 2012, 9:08 am

what an awesome season!!!
big congrats, rooster!!!
i agree, charlie, bring on fall!!! only 11 weeks to fall archery turkey season opener!!

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 11th, 2012, 11:12 am

Outstanding Spring treerooster! Fun and success rolled into one season of the year. Congratulations.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » July 11th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Treerooster: definitely a great spring season with interesting tales! Did you get the download on that banded bird?

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 11th, 2012, 2:46 pm

A great spring for sure. WI was very good to you this spring. Hope to get to share a tree with you again in the near future, your welcome in my camp anytime.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » July 11th, 2012, 7:00 pm

Jellyhead wrote: Did you get the download on that banded bird?

Good question. I meant to put that in the post but forgot.

The band is a state band (not stamped the same as the federal ones from the USFWS) and it has the biologist that is doing the study phone number on it. I knew him and called him while James cleaned his bird. As luck would have it he answered and told me it was banded in 2010 a few miles to the west of where we got it and was a jake at the time of banding. So it was a 3 year old tom and had 1 3/8 inch spurs, which goes to show it can be hard to age a bird by spur length. The bands are riveted on as the toms have a tendency to lose them if they are not. This is the same size/type band we use to put on the bald eagles

Here is a close up of the spurs and my Burville Bomber long box I called him up with.

As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » July 11th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Great recount of your spring, Gary. ...And great pictures, too. One of these days I plan on having a 41 day (or longer) spring season. Maybe in a couple of more years.....
Jim

dewey

Postby dewey » July 12th, 2012, 12:00 am

Great season recap Gary and congratulations on the awesome season.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion