Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Magnumdood

RE: new question

Postby Magnumdood » February 8th, 2009, 6:58 pm

I'm sure you can; I'm a good student.

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 9th, 2009, 1:23 am

When I see a turkey feather I pick it up and examine it then throw it down. I don't try to hide feathers or destroy them or even try to cover up turkey scratchings. I think it's a waste of time IMO. I have better things to do. Besides where I hunt I hardly ever see anyone there. It's even on public land. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 9th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Well Magnumdood now that we have that over with maybe we can start on a fresh slate.
Welcome to the Forum hope you enjoy it,your input is always welcome,didn't mean to insult you.
Anyhow this is what keeps the forum interesting.

Turkeybuster[:)]

Magnumdood

Postby Magnumdood » February 12th, 2009, 10:13 am

Thanks!

[:)]

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 11:01 am

I used to think that no one hunted turkeys 30 years ago, but from the sounds of it on this forum everyone has hunted turkeys for decades.

Don't be afraid to learn something fellas
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

hunterjim

Postby hunterjim » February 12th, 2009, 1:07 pm

I pick them up most of the time and if I see tracks in the road or mud I try to obliterate them by dragging me feet etc.

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 13th, 2009, 2:35 am

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32

I used to think that no one hunted turkeys 30 years ago, but from the sounds of it on this forum everyone has hunted turkeys for decades.

Don't be afraid to learn something fellas

[:D] I feel the same. But like TC said, "computers" and I think hunters did not marry up with computers until the late 90's on.

In the late 50's and 60's, you were hard pressed to see a handfull of turkey hunters all season, let alone turkey's. Then about the mid 70's on, there seemed to be an explosion in turkey populations and then an explosion of hunters in the early 90's.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 13th, 2009, 4:35 am

I still think we have alot of people who pretend they have hunted turkeys longer than they have.

I still think it all begins with woodsmanship and I have been blessed to be able to be outdoors enough to have honed those skills enough to help me have a punchers chance to bag a bird from time to time.

I haven't hunted the turkey for as many years as alot of the fellas on here say  they have because we didn't have them in our area, but I have been at them long enough to know that I can always use some extra input from others.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » February 13th, 2009, 9:42 am

I agree with the Gohst we came up in the ranks basically about the same time. I killed my first bird in 1960 and been deviled with them ever since. At that time the most I could get from anyone about how to hunt turkeys was you have to use heavy shot so a oldtimer had some 00buck and told me that should be heavy enough. It was the first shot knocked the feathers off of him and he took off the second shot got him with one 00 straight through him. So I knew something had to be done about the shot size even though the oldtimer was proud of his sound advise and my turkey. So my next move was to get some fine shot but not too fine so I got some no.2# shot and it went on from there but we didn't have anybody to turn to because nobody hunted turkey then. Our concentration of turkeys was limited to the big woods of northern Pa. there were some old school turkey hunters up there but you couldn't get any info. out of them if you put them on a water board. There wasn't much in print at that time and what was there was almost unatainable. When I first heard somebody say there were turkeys in the south I was positive he was telling a outright lie,turkeys live in the deep woods not in the south!
But this is a example of how uneducated we were to turkey hunting back then but we kept at it and as information became available we did our homework and tried to learn all we could. You will learn if you are dedicated and I'am sure you are. To this day I cannot watch a video more than five minutes I think they are misleading and you are right on the woodsmanship it is one of the most important tools, calling I feel is next along with learning turkey behavior.Be safe and you will have a lot of fun learning to hunt them and sometimes it all comes together and we take one for a ride in the truck.
Turkeybuster

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 13th, 2009, 10:09 am

I pick 'em up & stash 'em in a gallon-sized ziplock bag for future use. 

Have you ever salted an area with feathers to fool another hunter and make them think they are set up along a Turkey super-highway? Put them on a wild goose chase (so to speak).
I have...[;)]  Mean, I know. But I didn't have to worry about them hunting too close to me.

Any time I shoot a turkey & knock feathers out of it, I gather up the feathers to remove the evidence.  I'll even take the spent shell & wad if I can find it. Nothing gives away a Turkey hunting location faster than finding spent # 4, 5, or 6 high brass hulls.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies