Optimistic about our Hatch of poults

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eggshell

Optimistic about our Hatch of poults

Postby eggshell » July 6th, 2012, 9:55 am

It's black berry picking time and I been out picking some berries. In most summers I may see one brood of young turkeys while berry picking, but this year I have seen two broods in three trips out. I also heard a hen and chicks calling to each other that I never saw, plus I saw a brood the last day of our season. There seems to be a wide range of sizes though, like the nesting was strung out. I'm feeling pretty good about the hatch, now I hope they have a good summer to survive through. My experience has been that dry hot summers are good poult survival years, so this year ought to be great (LOL).
Bust em, Bag em, thank HIm

Jellyhead

Re: Optimistic about our Hatch of poults

Postby Jellyhead » July 7th, 2012, 8:49 am

I'm of two minds on this subject here in Connecticut: the good news is that I'm starting to see multiple broods in the places I hunt with 4-6 poults in each brood. I'm even seeing them in park areas where I live (suburban) with a large number of poults (8+). In the previous two years (with good breeding conditions) we were seeing larger broods, earlier (mid-June).

I'm wondering whether we lost some early broods to the cold and damp weather we had here back in May, and whether I'm seeing the results of secondary breedings. Anybody have experience/knowledge of this in their areas?

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 7th, 2012, 11:36 am

While I do not live in an area where there are many turkeys they are expanding slowly. I saw a hen yesterday but she did not have a brood.
Eggshell from my experience running hounds and Britts hot and dry is about as bad as scenting conditions get. This is probably true for predaters too. If they can't smell them they would have lots of problems finding them. Cover is not as heavy either so hens could spot coyotes at a greater distance. There does seem to be far less bugs though.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » July 7th, 2012, 12:10 pm

It looks to be a banner year for Bluebirds around here. I had a pair show up in mid March, build a nest then disappear. They moved over to my neighbors box and had a brood. Around Memorial day they came back and raised 5 more. We had the pair and 3 young ones hanging about until they fleged the second brood. They are starting a third brood now. :D
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 8th, 2012, 10:44 am

I've seen a couple of broods in different locations and both seemed to be doing well. There were more in each brood than I'm used to seeing by the time they get that size (young chicken-size). It is encouraging to hear turkeys are doing well in other parts of the country as well. I figured as many coyotes as there are starting to be around here, things might not go well for turkeys. Not so far anyway.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 8th, 2012, 5:12 pm

i have to say from what i'm seeing the hatch this year was very good . i have seen a few hens out in the feilds while i been haying and they had broods of 4 to as much as 8 poults another thing i have notice is i have heard no coyotes lately but there has been an increase in pig sighting maybe pigs and yotes can't live together....wayne

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » July 16th, 2012, 1:37 am

wow, been a while since i was on here fellow addicts. Been too busy slamming the bass. hey grizz, where exactly are you located in NY, cause ive been seeing a lot of broods. i was up in the Adirondacks with my best bud Nate and his sis and her boyfriend. On the way up and back i saw 4-5 different hens with big broods. i mean they all had at least 5-10 which was unbelievable !!! :D :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 16th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Been seeing a lot of poults this year, all seem to be doing very well, and all are about the same size, about the size of a hen pheasant. Last weekend seen a hen with 12 poults that were very small, almost the size of a robin, it must have been a late hatch or her second nest, first nest must have been destoryed? Most of the broods I've been seeing have 6-10 poults in them.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 16th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Everyone on this side of WI is reporting a lot of poults out and about. I've been seeing more than ever with wide range in size from softball to volley ball. Found a nest 2 weeks ago with 15 eggs so that will add some smaller poults into the mix.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 17th, 2012, 3:42 pm

Mossy i live in Tioga county in the upper part i guess the closest city you might know is Ithaca the home of the model 37 shotgun. i live 7 miles south of it and 20 miles north of the Penn. border.as i said earlier the hatch year is looking very good in number of poults.....wayne

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion