120 degrees in SI

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
User avatar
Steve_In
 
Posts: 915
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Location: Ari, Indiana

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby Steve_In » July 7th, 2012, 12:03 pm

I thought twice before I did this, and for anyone who is offended by the liberal Eastern press, I apologize for perhaps being the only guy on this board to ever post a link to the New York Times

It doesn't hurt to scout the other team. I live about 50 miles north of Hartford City mentioned in the article and the corn around here is in real trouble. It is starting to tassel out and is only about 3 to 4 feet tall in the good fields. The leaves are going from curled to brown. I see trouble this fall as the gasahol plants are competing with the food producers for what little corn there will be. What little rain we are getting is coming from thunderstorms that pop up from nowhere dump a little rain, then fizzle out. Not good at all.
:?
Here is a first for me though, about 30 mins south of me, Clarksville, TN has a ban on using your grill.
That is just wrong. I had my smoker going a week ago but I let the hose run slowly around it while it was hot. I have a gas grill but it is even too hot to fire it up. Looking at our 4th day of 100+ to set a new record :(
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby dewey » July 7th, 2012, 9:11 pm

I saw that article the other day as well. When we left Minneapolis Friday at 5:00 it was 99 with a heat index of 109. Then when we get to the in laws place near Detroit Lakes and it was 68, awesome.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

User avatar
allaboutshooting
 
Posts: 1419
Joined: April 8th, 2008, 11:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby allaboutshooting » July 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm

dewey wrote:I saw that article the other day as well. When we left Minneapolis Friday at 5:00 it was 99 with a heat index of 109. Then when we get to the in laws place near Detroit Lakes and it was 68, awesome.

Dewey

There has been no break in the heat here in SI. It was up to 116 earlier today. No rain in the last couple of months and we're so far down in rain that it appears nothing will save the corn crop this year. It's really bad here.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

User avatar
onpoint
 
Posts: 496
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 2:24 am

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby onpoint » July 9th, 2012, 4:46 pm

charlie elk wrote:
onpoint wrote: Dying plant matter actually produces more food for turkeys.


How 'bout explaining this one for me Charlie :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

charlie elk
 
Posts: 1129
Joined: August 7th, 2009, 4:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby charlie elk » July 12th, 2012, 2:32 pm

onpoint wrote: charlie elk wrote:

onpoint wrote: Dying plant matter actually produces more food for turkeys.

How 'bout explaining this one for me Charlie :roll:


There are a host of insects, particularly beetles that feed on or under the dead plants.
Seed pods, flower buds, catkins, pine cones, failing ag crops such as beans or peas etc. are all eaten by turkeys, when there is a drought the bush, tree or plant sheds them early making an easy ground food source.
Depending on the area failed ag crops may not be harvested at all; it's very possible they may just be plowed under sometime after the crop insurance has paid.
Swamps, ponds, rivers & lakes recede leaving a shoreline full of high protein dead aquatic delights (minnows, leaches, water bugs & all the various water plant buds and seed pods)

The other day I was out in Eastern WI where it is really dry, a particularly parched & wilted corn field was loaded with turkeys feeding on the immature dried out ears of corn. These birds continue to amaze me with their tenacity.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

User avatar
dewey
 
Posts: 1636
Joined: January 16th, 2009, 6:18 am
Location: Minneapolis Minnesota

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby dewey » July 12th, 2012, 3:14 pm

charlie elk wrote:
onpoint wrote: charlie elk wrote:

onpoint wrote: Dying plant matter actually produces more food for turkeys.

How 'bout explaining this one for me Charlie :roll:


There are a host of insects, particularly beetles that feed on or under the dead plants.
Seed pods, flower buds, catkins, pine cones, failing ag crops such as beans or peas etc. are all eaten by turkeys, when there is a drought the bush, tree or plant sheds them early making an easy ground food source.
Depending on the area failed ag crops may not be harvested at all; it's very possible they may just be plowed under sometime after the crop insurance has paid.
Swamps, ponds, rivers & lakes recede leaving a shoreline full of high protein dead aquatic delights (minnows, leaches, water bugs & all the various water plant buds and seed pods)

The other day I was out in Eastern WI where it is really dry, a particularly parched & wilted corn field was loaded with turkeys feeding on the immature dried out ears of corn. These birds continue to amaze me with their tenacity.


Charlie I think I am going to start referring to you as Mr. Turkey Biologist, sir. Seriously your knowledge of turkeys and their behavior, feeding habits and how they survive is amazing.

Thank you for the explanation! As the next time someone talks about his subject I will be able to explain it better.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

User avatar
onpoint
 
Posts: 496
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 2:24 am

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby onpoint » July 13th, 2012, 10:37 am

Thanks for the update. Guess I forgot what omnivores turkeys are :roll:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests