Turkey Legends

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
stankyolgobbler

Turkey Legends

Postby stankyolgobbler » June 29th, 2012, 2:17 pm

These are pictures that my dad took 30 years ago at some calling contests in Columbus, GA. Good stuff and some very familiar names from the turkey hunting & calling industry today!
Attachments
Dick Kirby 2.jpg
The Man, Dick Kirby
Dick Kirby 2.jpg (67.71 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Dick Kirby 3.jpg
Dick Kirby Calling
Dick Kirby 3.jpg (61.53 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Dick Kirby 1.jpg
Dick Kirby
Dick Kirby 1.jpg (55.48 KiB) Viewed 789 times
David  Hale.jpg
David Hale
David Hale.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Harold Knight.jpg
Harold Knight
Harold Knight.jpg (96.73 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Ben Lee 3.jpg
Ben Rogers Lee Accepting Trophy(CHECK OUT THE SKINNY GUY IN THE MIDDLE WITH THE CAMO PANTS----PRESTON PITTMAN!!!)
Ben Lee 3.jpg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Ben Lee.jpg
Ben Rogers Lee
Ben Lee.jpg (55.86 KiB) Viewed 789 times
Ben Lee 2.jpg
Ben Rogers Lee Giving Siminar
Ben Lee 2.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 789 times
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

misoiltester

Re: Turkey Legends

Postby misoiltester » June 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Thanks for sharing those pics. :D

I sure enjoyed hearing ole' Ben, give a turkey talk ;) Can't even remember where now :o
Ever wonder where the white goes when the snow melts????

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 29th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Very neat shots....I lived in Columbus back then but turkey hunting wasn't even on my radar....would have loved to attended this knowing what I do now

Really cool stuff to look back on
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 30th, 2012, 10:13 am

Great photos, thanks for sharing :) .
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » July 1st, 2012, 10:13 am

A good turkey hunting friend has told me tales of attending a Ben Rodgers Lee seminar, and how impressive Ben Lee was in his knowledge of the turkey and his ability to transmit it.

My friend let me try what he said was a Ben Lee slate, designed with two curved wings of cherry wood with a thin strip of slate centered between them- what a sweet sounding call! I haven't been able to find it online- anyone familiar with it or know what it is called?

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » July 1st, 2012, 5:39 pm

Jellyhead wrote:My friend let me try what he said was a Ben Lee slate, designed with two curved wings of cherry wood with a thin strip of slate centered between them- what a sweet sounding call! I haven't been able to find it online- anyone familiar with it or know what it is called?

Sounds like a trough call.

The trough call is still made by several call makers today, but most have more straight lines.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 1st, 2012, 6:05 pm

Great pictures. I remember those guys when they looked like that. I also spoke to Dick Kirby shortly before his death. We talked about how many years had gone by and how things had changed over the years.

Those were the true pioneering days of the modern turkey hunting era. No one was making a living "in the turkey business" then. Most of the legends now were very eager to come to any location to put on a seminar and hopefully sell a few calls. It was a pretty tough business and very hard to make a living doing it. We owe a lot to those guys who hung in there and kept at it. We also owe a lot to the NWTF and publications like Turkey & Turkey Hunting that spread the word about this new old sport of turkey hunting.

The modern era of turkey hunting that we all enjoy so much did not just happen. It took a concerted effort by so many of the "legends", organizations, and the departments of natural resources of many states. It also took a lot of dollars that were spent by sportsmen all over the U.S. and we should never forget the gun makers and ammo makers who recognized a need and filled it for us.

I joined the NWTF just about 30 years ago and have watched most of this develop. I feel very fortunate to have lived through most of this.
It's truly a success story!

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

onpoint

Postby onpoint » July 4th, 2012, 12:35 pm

Bobbyparks wrote:Very neat shots.... back then but turkey hunting wasn't even on my radar....would have loved to attended this knowing what I do now

Really cool stuff to look back on

Ditto
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 6th, 2012, 8:13 pm

Jellyhead wrote:A good turkey hunting friend has told me tales of attending a Ben Rodgers Lee seminar, and how impressive Ben Lee was in his knowledge of the turkey and his ability to transmit it.

My friend let me try what he said was a Ben Lee slate, designed with two curved wings of cherry wood with a thin strip of slate centered between them- what a sweet sounding call! I haven't been able to find it online- anyone familiar with it or know what it is called?

That call is the Super Hen it was made in aluminum and also slate by Ben. You can find them on ebay from time to time in fact there is a aluminum call on there now.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » July 7th, 2012, 8:23 am

Turkeybuster wrote:
Jellyhead wrote:A good turkey hunting friend has told me tales of attending a Ben Rodgers Lee seminar, and how impressive Ben Lee was in his knowledge of the turkey and his ability to transmit it.

That call is the Super Hen it was made in aluminum and also slate by Ben. You can find them on ebay from time to time in fact there is a aluminum call on there now.

Jon

Jon, you're right about that call on ebay, that is the one, in aluminum. Do you know if that glass striker is original?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BEN-LEE ... 652wt_1185

"The call originated in Mississippi with a man named Chisolm before Ben Lee was ever hatched." TurkeyComander

Thanks TC, here is a link (scroll down) http://www.reocities.com/theboxcallpage ... ls101.html, that shows the derivation of the 'Super Hen' from the Raymond Chisholm call. Interesting that his wife Era made them (after his death?) Do you know if they were made in slate as well as aluminum?

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion