120 degrees in SI

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby allaboutshooting » July 3rd, 2012, 7:31 am

dewey wrote:We set a record today in Minneapolis with a high of 99 and humidity levels in the 60's. Sounds like it might drop into the mid to upper 80's this weekend.

Dewey

Humidity is on the rise here and that's a good thing for us. We'll still be in the 100s for most of the next 7-10 days, it appears but hopefully, some of that humidity will cause us to get a little very much needed rain.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

onpoint

Postby onpoint » July 4th, 2012, 12:31 pm

All this abnormal weather can't be good for the next generation of turks
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 4th, 2012, 6:48 pm

onpoint wrote:All this abnormal weather can't be good for the next generation of turks

I agree. It cuts down on all the "browse" that they normally have available this time of year and even bugs are probably in short supply.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » July 5th, 2012, 3:28 pm

onpoint wrote: onpoint wrote:All this abnormal weather can't be good for the next generation of turks
I agree. It cuts down on all the "browse" that they normally have available this time of year and even bugs are probably in short supply.

Not necessarily. Turkeys need very little water as they get most of their needed moisture from the food they eat. Dying plant matter actually produces more food for turkeys.
There are a lot very arid habitats in the Western U.S. that have very healthy populations of turkeys.

That being said I don't like the heat or the extreme dryness any more than anyone else. I am seeing more poults than I have ever seen this year. Apparently the turkeys are loving it.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » July 5th, 2012, 10:09 pm

It was freaking HOT here on the 4th with a high of 101, humidity in the 70's and then 96 today and similar humidity today. Thankfully the temperatures are expected to drop into the mid 80's this weekend. I would agree with Charlie as here are a lot of turkeys in TX, OK, KS and other states that get more heat and longer and they do just fine.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » July 5th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Well I finally got some water from the sky the other day to bad it was barely over a tenth of an inch. Better than nothing I guess. :roll: Here is a first for me though, about 30 mins south of me, Clarksville, TN has a ban on using your grill. If you are caught using your grill it is a $2,500.00 fine. :o Then I just heard today that in a couple of counties north of me that you are not allowed to mow your yard. The way the weather has been I dont know why any one would mow thier yard because if its like mine its dead. If anyone knows how to perform a good guarantee rain dance please post it. :D This is turning out to be one of the driest summers that I have ever seen. The corn crops are completely dead in a lot of areas and if the temp and dry air stays like this for a few more days a lot of tobacco crops will be gone also.
Is it turkey season yet?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » July 6th, 2012, 6:24 am

I guess the best part of all this is the fact that every day we're getting closer to the middle of September when the heat breaks. I know I'm looking forward to it.

They're talking like next week the high temperatures are supposed to be in the 80s. I can't wait.
Hang in there everybody.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

dewey

Postby dewey » July 6th, 2012, 3:35 pm

kygobbler wrote:Here is a first for me though, about 30 mins south of me, Clarksville, TN has a ban on using your grill. If you are caught using your grill it is a $2,500.00 fine. :o Then I just heard today that in a couple of counties north of me that you are not allowed to mow your yard.

Wow! I have never heard of that. I read the other day that the IL,IN,OH,KY and those states are really dry and might lose a majority of the corn crops but it sounds like MN, IA, SD and ND the corn crops are doing really good.

We are currently, 3:30 pm CDT, at 96 with a heat index of 102.

Have good weekend guys/gals.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » July 6th, 2012, 7:56 pm

It isn't much better here 105 tomorrow and it has been dry. The crops are doing ok at this point but we need rain.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Jellyhead

Postby Jellyhead » July 7th, 2012, 9:02 am

I thought twice before I did this, and for anyone who is offended by the liberal Eastern press, I apologize for perhaps being the only guy on this board to ever post a link to the New York Times ;) . I thought that anyone reading this thread would find this article on the Midwest corn crop interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/us/fo ... .html?_r=1

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion