120 degrees in SI

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allaboutshooting

120 degrees in SI

Postby allaboutshooting » June 28th, 2012, 3:49 pm

It is 120 degrees at our place here in Southern Illinois with 21% humidity.

We normally have some hot weather here but 120 degrees is pretty much unheard of and I don't remember ever seeing 21% humidity in the summer here. Generally, it's very humid, with "the air you wear" being the rule.

I know we often speak of it being like an oven but that's exactly what if feels like here.

When I was out this morning, I would sweat but my shirt would dry almost immediately.

We are over 12" dry for the year and the ground is cracked everywhere. It's a tough year for the crops.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

kygobbler

Re: 120 degrees in SI

Postby kygobbler » June 28th, 2012, 8:08 pm

I know what you mean Clark. Its hot as heck here also. I woke up this afternoon and it was 105 degrees. It doesnt help that my ac unit for the house finally decided to die the other day. I got a new unit being installed tommorrow morning. :D :D The crops around here are starting to die due to lack of water and the heat. I believe the last rain we got was 4 tenths of an inch about 3 weeks ago.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 29th, 2012, 6:45 am

Yeah, hang in there to everybody facing this wave of hot weather. They're talking about a record high here today over 106. This heat is nothing to take lightly. We've had more rain than you have lately kygobbler, but crops around here are starting to look stressed as well. There is a chance for afternoon and evening thunderstorms on Sunday and into next week that may help. Who knew that 95 degree temperatures was going to be a relief?

Be careful, don't over do it, and stay hydrated everybody
Luck Counts, good or bad

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 29th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Hi Jim it's 97 tropical degrees here today we had a good thunderstorm last night but the ground absorbed it immediately. We are in good shape for water at this point and the crops are very good. We had a lot of rain in turkey season I was starting to get web feet. Hope ya'll get some rain shortly we have been very fortunate at this point. Too much heat and dry conditions will kill the acorn crop too we experienced that the last two years in Pa.

Jon
Turkeybuster

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » June 29th, 2012, 4:16 pm

There were decent rains here for much of the spring and many of the crops look pretty good. Corn is head high to 8 feet tall, unless it got planted late. Tobacco looks really good and beans are looking kinda sad right about now. Some have had two good cuttings of hay, but this hot and dry weather might slow things down some. As long as the heat gets away from here in a timely manner, we'll be good. I couldn't tolerate it if the temperatures stayed up this high regularly. The weather folks said it has hit 107 today, which beats the old record by 3 degrees I think.

I hope you have a bumper crop of acorns this year Jon, it sounds like you're due. Stay cool.

Give me Spring or Fall any day over this mess.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

gouldshunter

Postby gouldshunter » June 29th, 2012, 7:27 pm

hope you all are enjoying those 100+ temps :) here in Pinetop, Arizona our highs are in the 80's lows in the lower 50's good porch sitting weather.

Dixie Belle

Postby Dixie Belle » June 30th, 2012, 5:39 pm

We have not had the abnormal heat, but between Hurricane Beryl and tropical storm Debbie we have had more than enough rain for a while (knock wood). I'm so glad to see sunshine. Hope you guys with the high temps and low rainfall get relief. It's 6:30 P.M. and 93 degrees here today, which is about normal for us.
I hope all the rain (probably around 15 to 20 inches in the last month or so) has not caused serious damage to the poults.
They were already on the ground by Mother's Day, but I'm sure staying wet for a week at a time could not be good for them. Here's hoping.
Ted
Dixie Belle Handcrafted Turkey Calls
NWTF award winning calls
Home of the "REBEL YELPER"
Remember "The shade comes free with the tree"

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » June 30th, 2012, 5:46 pm

It hit 106 here Thursday with a Heat Index of 112. The kids took eggs out to the blacktop to fry :D Friday afternoon we got slammed with a storm with winds topping 90 mph. No damage to my home but I had a couple of large limbs come down. The Lord has a sense of humor. The limbs that fell were about 20 feet from the firepit but the county still has a burn ban in effect due to extreme dry conditions. The storm only left about .5" of rain and the grass still crackles when you step on it. I think we have had less than 1 inch of rain in June.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 1st, 2012, 9:48 am

It is still very bad here with no hope of any rain anytime soon. Temps may drop into the high 90s on Tuesday. Many if not all of the farm crops will be gone soon.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

dewey

Postby dewey » July 2nd, 2012, 10:24 pm

We set a record today in Minneapolis with a high of 99 and humidity levels in the 60's. Sounds like it might drop into the mid to upper 80's this weekend.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion