Number One Source

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
dmcianfa

Number One Source

Postby dmcianfa » February 12th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Question:  What is the number one preferred source of food or nutrients for turkeys in your hunting area? (county, state, region) whatever
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Number One Source

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 1:58 pm

Really isn't one preferred food where I'm hunting its big woods and they eat a variety of things. Turkeys sure can adapt.  Wild strawberries, clover, hazel nuts, acorns, varies catkins, varies berries, grass, grasshoppers and other critters, mushrooms, buds, young ferns, and a variety of other plants.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 12th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Depends on the particular area. Of coarse they all eat bugs an berries and all the natural things they find in the woods. but ,as with all turkeys, the ones near farms like to pick at corn or seeds planted in feilds as well.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2009, 2:29 pm

A turkey's dietary needs change depending on the region and season, there isn't just a favorite.

The diet and preferred food source of the turkey changes rapidly in the spring. When it's still winter, seed and grain for carbohydrates and energy is the choice. Next comes tasty green shoots, blooms and small berries as soon as they are available. Finally, warmer weather brings insects and their desired protein.

All told, a turkey will eat practically anything. The types of food identified from turkey craws and documented number in the hundreds. A goat is one of the few animals on the planet that will eat some things a turkey won't.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I found some creek snails in somes crawl from this particular area I hunt the last few years.

I also was made aware that crows are a predator to the hens eggs during spring mating season...I never knew that.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » February 13th, 2009, 2:43 am

Hopefully, they're eating lead #5's

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 13th, 2009, 2:45 am

bugs...are  number one food supply.......for the wild turkey..thats why in spring and fall .....their in the fields......in the great white north.....with heavy snows.....their around ground springs... they dont freeze..there they forage for grubbs and roots.....when the snows not to deep they dig for mast .....they also fly into the trees for buds and soft mast.....the multiflora rose bushes provide allot of the food for most all wild game durring harsh winters.........[:)]

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 13th, 2009, 2:45 am

Pretty much well said and covered by everyone.

Although Grunt Doc is the winner.

shaman

Postby shaman » February 13th, 2009, 4:40 am

When I've been hunting turkeys, Spring and Fall, the #1 foodstuff in their craws is clover. A close #2 are acorns.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 13th, 2009, 5:45 am

I agree with Shaman,

I have seen clover in my kill stomach's more often than anything else.  That is what I was trying to get at with the original question.  I was wondering if it was different for others in different parts of the country.  Not what do they eat, but what is the preferred food source.  Preferred being the key word I guess.

Maybe I should rephrase the question:

What do you find most in the stomach or gizzard of the birds you are lucky enough to harvest?
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

Next

Return to Strategies