Gobbling in PA?

Turkeybuster

RE: Gobbling in PA?

Postby Turkeybuster » March 22nd, 2009, 6:05 am

Saw more birds strutted up today but there wasn't a lot of gobbling activity the last two days. I could see a big change in gobbler behavior from the beginning of the week, Hens seem to be on the move I saw two different flocks this week.The flock I saw yesterday were very small birds they were just a tad larger than a pheasant? I don't think the birds are gobbling much in this area due to the amount of hens available to them.
TB

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 25th, 2009, 5:31 am

Went out this morning and heard 5 gobblers. I was driving down the mountain road and pulled in by a powerline and when I got out I heard some yelping above me in the rocks. I was near the top of the mountain. Just then I heard that unmistakable Jake gobbling, then more yelping.There was laurel and Hemlocks there, it was kind of thick. I walked across the road and was looking up through the laurel branches and saw one walking around. I stood there a good 10 minutes then heard one gobble below the road twice.

The first gobbler I heard was gobbling high on the mountain, right where I killed the one last year, the one in my avatar. I'll probably hunt him this year.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

MAK

Postby MAK » March 25th, 2009, 5:39 am

trkynut54 -good luck - bust a big'un!

I hope to learn more this weekend on the location of a couple long hooked boys that escaped me last year. 

I was too far from the roost, and the hens got there first! 
MAK

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 25th, 2009, 8:14 am

Good luck to you too MAK. I always try to be up by the roost tree before daylight.

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » March 26th, 2009, 6:53 am

trkynut54, Did you have your camera with you and take any pics??  You never travel far without your camera, just wondering.  Good Luck this spring.  If you have the second tag then I hope you get two! 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 26th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Yeah I had the camera with me I just didn't try to take a pic it was too thick

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 26th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Hi Yall
Just returned from camp it is spring clean up time again, went to the woods wednesday morning temp. 19 degrees and a brisk wind.
We didn't hear a bird until 10:30 PM. then we heard two birds gobble a few times each that was the highlight of the morning. We did manage to find two areas with acorns and both areas had good turkey sign. Food is very sparse in the northern mountains this spring but the birds seem to have had a good winter. The local people are seeing birds frequently in their every day travels and report a good population of birds. We were standing on the porch prepareing to leave camp and two birds on the mountain across from camp bid us a farewell and a safe trip home. The northern birds seem to be on schedule at this time and if this continues we could have a very good season.
Turkeybuster

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » March 29th, 2009, 7:18 am

A friend and I went out this morning. We walked back in when it just started getting daylight. We heard one gobble down across the road where the truck was parked. Then we heard another one out the mountain farther then we saw a hen in the tree above us. Then another one gobbled to our left on posted ground. Then another one gobbled straight out from us. Then we saw two more in the trees above us and to our left. Then the one straight out from us gobbled again. Then the hens started flying towards the gobbler out from us. There were 9 hens all together and 4 gobblers around us. What a show!!!

So when the hens went out of sight we slid out of there and went to another area. We stood beside the truck and heard one gobble below us. Then we went out the mountain another 5 miles and went to another area. We walked towards the front of the mountain and stood there 15 minutes and heard 3 gobbling. Then it started raining and we went for a ride to see if we could see some out in the fields. Sure enought the first flock was 11 gobblers, 8 Jakes and 3 Longbeards. Here's a pic of the longbeards:

Then we went down to see another buddy of mine that lives along the mountain. He said right before we got there, there was 35 turkeys in his yard, 2 were Longbeards the rest hens.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 29th, 2009, 8:44 pm

My hunting buddy and I went out this past Friday evening and roosted a flock with about 30 birds in it. At least 9 of the were nice big Toms! We watched them strut up the hill to where they were going to fly up for the night. We located them by hitting a crow call ONE time. But they continued gobble at the hens traveling the area who were putting and purring as they went to their roosts. It was a great show!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 3rd, 2009, 4:48 am

Came back from camp Wed. I didn't hear any gobbling but saw a small flock with two strutters and saw 7 birds behind camp with one strutter 1 longbeard and a jake and 4 hens. I talked to a friend who lives in that area and he said they just aren't gobbling hopefully this will change in the next few weeks.
Anyhow this seems to be on schedule for the northern part of the state.
Turkeybuster

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania