REMINGTON STOCKS, LOOK !!!!!!!

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Don S

REMINGTON STOCKS, LOOK !!!!!!!

Postby Don S » March 14th, 2009, 4:15 pm

just to let you know I bought a Remington 870 with the plastic stocks and took off the recoil pad , the stock bolt tightens on a long tube in the stock and that tube was smashed under the bolts torque. I would have to believe over time shooting this with 3.5" shells it would fail. I filled my stock with fiberglass resin to the top of that tube and made a bigger washer , well more of a long plate with a hole in the middle, to cover that tube and the resin. Just letting you know you might want to check yours, when you take that pad off you will see what I am talking about. Don't know if 11-87 are the same or not.

Fan Club

RE: REMINGTON STOCKS, LOOK !!!!!!!

Postby Fan Club » March 14th, 2009, 4:30 pm

My Winchester 1300 synthetic stock has the same design. The bolt is so far in you need a 12" rachet extension just to reach it. I realign my stock with the reciever every now and then. Heavy turkey loads will rock a hollow composite stock.

Sounds like yours was torqued down too tight.

Welcome to the forum Don.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Don S

Postby Don S » March 14th, 2009, 4:37 pm

that stock bolt on the Remingtons is 10" long and that tube is maybe 6 or 7" long and 1/8 thick, the bolt is only 2.5" below the pad.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » March 14th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Interesting. The Winchester bolt is probably half that long so you have to reach that much farther in to get at it. Your longer bolt is easier to get to but the plastic support has to be twice as long and loses tensile strength.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Shooting