Winchester 1300 Pattern

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
SumToy

Re: Winchester 1300 Pattern

Postby SumToy » June 22nd, 2012, 10:26 pm

Count up the shot. I would have said in the past 200 plus. Now with some of the shells that was out this year the numbers did fall low. Most Winchester's like the 660 rang and with the 7's you can go little smaller. You may want to try another lot number of shells. If that dont work play with choke.

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 27th, 2012, 7:33 pm

eddie234 wrote:Well, I able to run out to the range after work this evening and see if my "deep cleaning, polishing and scrubbing" did any good. If you draw circles and count holes all that work didn't seem to improve anything. However what it did seem to do was tighten and center things up.
What I did was put the turkey target on the poster board and as instructed aim at the waddles. I got alot more "kill zone" hits this time. Overall I only added fifteen more holes to the turkey target. It would appear that my shot hit a little high but looking at the target you can see most of the shot was in the head and not the breast meat.
I think I will stick with this set up, It seems to the pretty good.

That pattern actually looks pretty good, just a little high maybe.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 28th, 2012, 12:53 pm

It is the best pattern I've found so far. It's pretty dead on at 20 and 30 yards just a tad high at 40. The polishing of the barrel seemed to tighten things up a little. As you've seen on the other forum board I've gotten alot of advise as to what to do to improve my pattern. Buying shells at $25 a box and chokes at $25 to $80 this can get expensive. I think I'll stick with this combo for awhile, like I said it the best I've found so far.
Twitter: @edvogler

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 28th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I've not tried #4 or 5's, do you think it would tighten things up? Looking at my pattern so far it looks like the 6's are an even pattern. what would the 4 or 5's do?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 28th, 2012, 9:30 pm

eddie234 wrote:It is the best pattern I've found so far. It's pretty dead on at 20 and 30 yards just a tad high at 40. The polishing of the barrel seemed to tighten things up a little. As you've seen on the other forum board I've gotten alot of advise as to what to do to improve my pattern. Buying shells at $25 a box and chokes at $25 to $80 this can get expensive. I think I'll stick with this combo for awhile, like I said it the best I've found so far.

That sounds like a wise decision to me. Best of luck to you in the turkey woods.

Thanks,
Clark

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 29th, 2012, 12:02 pm

What's your barrel length? Looks a little longer than my 21". Also what does the 3" shell do, you where shooting a 3 1/2"?

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » June 30th, 2012, 9:12 am

when i got my comp n choke they advised me to get the one with an ed of .655 due to my short barrel lenght and recommended #6 shot. Like you said I don't know if I could get a good pattern with a tighter choke and larger shot. I tried the 3" xended range #6's the other day and they didn't do that well with the SSX choke.
I'm not done playing yet so I'll be updating regularly.

air leak

Postby air leak » June 30th, 2012, 8:02 pm

FWIW...Back in 2007, my oldest son and I shot a double, @ approx 40 yards.

At that time he had a Mossberg 535, which has a 22 inch barrel. I put a XXX Comp-N-Choke on the end. He was using Federal 3 inch mag, 1 7/8 oz of # 6 lead shot.

I was using my 870, 28 inch barrel, Comp-N-Choke XXX, Remington Magnum Turkey Load, 3 inch 2 oz of # 4 Copperplated shot.

On 3, we fired as the same time, which sounded like only 1 shot.

My bird was knocked backwards, spurs over beard, and didn't even twitch. My son's bird was also knocked down, but flapped for several seconds.

Checking the damage, my bird had multiple pass throughs in the head and neck area. My son's bird didn't have any, except for the beak.

This was a perfect example of why, IMHO, # 4 shot is far superior to # 6 shot. Long range knock down power. Both shots were at the same exact yardage, at the exact same instant.

I know that I may be opening a can of worms in saying this, that far too much is made of counting the # of pellets in a 10 inch paper target @ 40 yards. Number 6 shot will always have more hits inside this 10 inch paper target, simply because it is smaller than # 4 shot, and there are more of them in the shell.

The big Tom that I shot this year was @ 25 yards. I was using my youngest son's 1300, which has a 28 inch barrel, and a Comp-N-Choke XXX. The same Remington Magnum Turkey Load, 3 inch, of 2 oz of # 4 Copperplated shot. The hit was just devastating. Instant lights out. In the time it took me to walk over to it, this bird was in a puddle of blood 12 inches in diameter.

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » July 2nd, 2012, 12:05 pm

Hey Clark,
Have you tried the hevi shot magnum blend out of your ssx choke? If so what kind of results do you get?

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » July 3rd, 2012, 7:48 am

eddie234 wrote:Hey Clark,
Have you tried the hevi shot magnum blend out of your ssx choke? If so what kind of results do you get?

Yes. I've shot quite a bit in the 3" version. Here's one target:
This one was shot with a 24" SBE barrel.

I'm sure I have others around but this one is probably pretty typical.

I really prefer the 3" shells with #6 shot. They have less recoil and allow a second shot if needed or desired.

Thanks,
Clark

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting