Looking Like A Good One

ticklishtompro

Looking Like A Good One

Postby ticklishtompro » June 12th, 2012, 10:09 pm

It is looking to me like a very good hatch this spring. I have been seeing more poults than I have ever seen. Just down the road from me I have been regularly seeing 3 hens with at least 20 poults. Usually they are running around so much I can't get a good count. Maybe I a just seeing more cause the farmers got all there first cuttings of hay off earlier than normal. Don't know for sure but I like what I am seeing. How about the rest of you, seeing a lot of poults?
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

WillowRidgeCalls

Re: Looking Like A Good One

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 12th, 2012, 11:15 pm

Been seeing a few hens but no poults yet, farmers are just starting to cut hay here so hopefully I'll be seeing a few.
Last edited by WillowRidgeCalls on June 13th, 2012, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 13th, 2012, 8:54 am

Driving from the cities to Madison and back this weekend. Will have my eyes on the field edges along 94 all the way down lol.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » June 13th, 2012, 10:45 am

ticklishtompro wrote:I have been seeing more poults than I have ever seen.

Same here. The other striking thing is the wide range in size of the poults; from baseball to volleyball size.
Not only does it appear the turkeys have had a good hatch but all the other game birds, grouse, pheasant, woodcock, partridge; it is going to be a great hunt this fall. Assuming the July rains don't wash them all away.
I'm seeing the birds in the woods, swamps and thickets; none to speak of in any of the fields. This may be because of all the eagles, hawks & owls in this area and they are doing a little too well also.
According to the WDNR grouse drumming counts were down this spring, if interested I posted the WDNR press release in its entirety on my personal site here http://www.charlieelk.com/?p=235
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 13th, 2012, 11:25 am

I'd have to disagree with the drumming counts being down at least in the central part of the state. I heard more grouse this year than I did turkeys. When we had the T&TH hunt we had grouse drumming every place we hunted, morning, noon and night. I would have figured the count would of been up some from last year?
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 13th, 2012, 12:08 pm

We heard a lot of drumming grouse in SE MN this spring as well. I was working down there last week and saw 3 separate broods of 10-12 young grouse apiece. This in an area where I've never seen a grouse before....Also heard a few gobbles, 1 in a place that was quiet as a tomb during our hunt ;)

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » June 13th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Gopherlongbeards wrote:Driving from the cities to Madison and back this weekend. Will have my eyes on the field edges along 94 all the way down lol.

You better keep your eyes on the road a little Gopher!! :lol:
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 14th, 2012, 10:49 am

yes i as well will have to dis agree with the ruffed grouse drum n counts being down at least in SW WI & NW WI & SE MN for that matter i herd more ruffed grouse then ever in the spring turkey woods... also seen & herd plenty of pheasants as well... hope the turkeys do well also... lets hope the rains are not to much for the small birds to handle

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » June 15th, 2012, 9:32 pm

I wish we had more grouse over here in this part of the state. I did hear 1 drumming but that was all. Pheasants cackling in a lot of spots which I always love to hear.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 16th, 2012, 1:05 pm

yes pheasants & turkeys go hand in hand for me... i think every place i hunt turkeys i hear pheasants crowing & druming there wings in the morning!!! its great i think its because i love to hunt near & around crop fields CRP/prairie type grass & wood edges i commonly here prairie grouse booming in the mornings also wear i hunt & bob white quail also... the spring turkey woods is a beautiful place to spend a morning!!!

Next

Return to Wisconsin