Shooting to the left at longer ranges

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
RNC

Shooting to the left at longer ranges

Postby RNC » May 6th, 2008, 10:59 am

Recently patterened my shotgun, Rem 870 express 12 ga, using a Tru Glo turkey choke. When I shot at 20-30 yards its right on. Starting at 35 it starts to drift left but hieghtwise its still fine. At 45 its almost off the paper entirely. I am using Remington Nitro turkey loads 3" #4. My brother uses the same model gun, choke and shell and just out of curiosity he shot it at 50 yards and still had a dozen hits in the kill zone. I know no two guns are the same but this seems like a huge difference. Any suggestions?

Steve_Conover

RE: Shooting to the left at longer ranges

Postby Steve_Conover » May 6th, 2008, 3:16 pm

My guess is that it is one of three things:

1.  The gun just shoots left and you didn't notice it as much at close range.  If this is the case a set of fully adjustable sights will fix the problem unless it is really bad.

2.  The wind was blowing your pattern left and you didn't notice is as much at close range.  Everyone is amazed at how much the wind can move a pattern if they are not used to it.

3. You were flinching left by the time you shot at long range.  Shoot from a rest and take out the human error to test the gun and then shoot without a rest to improve your shooting.

There are other possibilites, but I would start here.

Good Luck, Steve

BOWHUNTERCOP

Postby BOWHUNTERCOP » May 9th, 2008, 2:32 pm

you may have way to much of your finger's pad on the trigger

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » May 10th, 2008, 9:30 am

All of the prior responses to your problem are good. There is another possible explanation.

I would check your magazine end cap. That cap secures your barrel into the receiver. If it's not exceptionally tight, your barrel can move just as the shot leaves your muzzle. It's not a big movement but it's enough to really move your pattern, especially at longer ranges.

I suggest that you tighten that end cap as tight as possible by hand and then using some padded pliers, tighten it 4 more clicks. I also mark both the cap and the barrel band on my 870's so that I know it's in the exact same place each time.

If you'll do that and then shoot again from a good solid rest, use a good slip on recoil pad and good hearing protection, you may find that your problem has been cured.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

RNC

Postby RNC » May 11th, 2008, 8:04 am

Thanks all for the suggestions. Things have gotten better and I also switched to a Jelly Head choke and that has helped also. I feel confident to 40-45 yards.

Return to Shooting