Chat with Mark Strand

The country's best-known hunters and callers are here to answer your questions. Ask them turkey hunting tips, or just chat about their favorite hunts.
charlie elk

Re: Chat with Mark Strand

Postby charlie elk » June 7th, 2012, 11:03 am

MarkStrand wrote:I must say, you have a touch with the pen... good sounds comin' off that little barrel!

Thanks, the new pens that have the rubber wraps around the barrel make better sounds than the old straight plastic ones.

MarkStrand wrote:the experts was describing how to make turkey sounds on a wingbone call and said it was "like kissin' a blonde." My dad used to use that line about 10 times a year, when talking to people about using wingbones... Is that what it feels like to you?
(Might want to look around to see if Mrs. Elk is watching when you answer, in the event that she is not a blonde.)

Trying to remember what kissing a blonde is like :?
note to mrs elk I really can't remember its been at least 4 decades.

Comparing kissing and smacking on a call is like comparing apples and oranges. It is totally different. I flatten and stiffen my lips with the call just part way across the bottom lip, then inhale sharply kind of like when you have the hiccups; except you control it to make the desired turkey sound.

MarkStrand wrote:'ve decided to press on in the Snoopy Dance request. My next move is going to be to get it entered as an official category at calling contests... you know how they have owl hooting, the actual turkey calling, then they often toss in the gobbling competition, where the contestants also strut around on stage for the entertainment of the audience. I say we get Snoopy Dancing installed as part of the festivities, with you acting as sole judge at the World Championships. A video clip of you doing the dance in an actual hunting situation could be played on three giant screens, the Charlie Brown movie theme blasting out of huge speakers, just prior to the first contestant coming out, to get the crowd pumped up, and to remind everybody where this whole thing came from.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HMMMMM...........
Not sure about this. There would be some logistical hurtles; first and foremost I don't have a pro video guy to follow me out on hunts so the big screen would look terrible as in very uninspiring. Heck maybe my whole routine is uninspiring, I've never seen it just feels like the right thing for me to do at the time.
Like the idea of a snoopy dance competition this might inspire those hunters who put on the dour sour puss look while the vanity photo is being taken to smile a little. Personally I am really tired of hunters with fabulous birds looking like they are sad or not having fun. So if this competition brought out some smiles I be all for it. :D
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » June 7th, 2012, 3:37 pm

MarkStrand wrote:Charlie!

I've decided to press on in the Snoopy Dance request. My next move is going to be to get it entered as an official category at calling contests... you know how they have owl hooting, the actual turkey calling, then they often toss in the gobbling competition, where the contestants also strut around on stage for the entertainment of the audience. I say we get Snoopy Dancing installed as part of the festivities, with you acting as sole judge at the World Championships. A video clip of you doing the dance in an actual hunting situation could be played on three giant screens, the Charlie Brown movie theme blasting out of huge speakers, just prior to the first contestant coming out, to get the crowd pumped up, and to remind everybody where this whole thing came from.

Love It!! Charlie you are going to be like a rockstar!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 7th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Ya know Charlie, I do believe you actually called one in with that pen now....

charlie elk wrote: Personally I am really tired of hunters with fabulous birds looking like they are sad or not having fun.

Couldn't agree more! not a fan of the "Game Face" post hunt pictures. Quit trying to look like some kind of tough guy and act like you're having a little fun out there! Nobody died you know (well i guess the turkey did), its not illegal to look happy.

scott ellis1974

Postby scott ellis1974 » June 9th, 2012, 10:21 am

I love showing my joy! :)

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 10th, 2012, 2:26 pm

i am guilty of the game face hunting pics i havent smiled in pics since i was in grade school i guess some folks just dont like having there pics took???

if i had shot that beautiful merriams i think i would have to crack a smile!!! mind if i ask what state you were hunting scott ellis???

MarkStrand

Postby MarkStrand » June 10th, 2012, 2:56 pm

You guys have opened an important topic here... I am very much in line with the idea that the 'tough-guy' look doesn't do anything good for our sports. It's not just turkey hunting, either; you see a lot of that look in fishing pictures and in other types of hunting. To me, when the person in the photo takes on that appearance, it has a lot of potential to make average anglers and hunters feel like the 'insiders' are unapproachable, aloof, giving off the air that "we know something you don't and never will." That's my two cents on this, anyway, in addition to the other good points made on this point.

MarkStrand

Postby MarkStrand » June 10th, 2012, 2:58 pm

Oh, and I forgot to add that I like Scott's picture here. That's the kind of shot that helps turkey hunting! He looks the part of the successful hunter, and appears to be an approachable, helpful type guy, which he is...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 12th, 2012, 1:22 pm

sorry to say mark strand thats why i hunt turkeys & hunt them on public lands i feel that i can something happen more then the next guy & bag a turkey on hard hunted lands... i also love to hear other folks say things like there is no turkeys here or they are to hard to hunt after or B4 i bag a turkey i love that feeling of knowing i did something that not any average joe blow wk-end warrior can & dose do on a some what regular basis...

i just dont like to smile in or even take photos but if a seen a pic of a guy with a mug on his face & a big ol tom turkey or mounter wall-eye in his hands i would just assume that he had to work for his game & that he is a serious hunter my kind of man & would not hesitate to approach him... it really is not hurting anything or anybody else if a successful hunter is not smiling in a trophy/hero pic... but each to there own

MarkStrand

Postby MarkStrand » June 12th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Hey Turkey Junky...
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that we are talking about two fundamentally different things here. In the cases that you point out, if a given hunter or angler is simply a naturally "serious type guy" and just doesn't smile much in photos, that's that person's natural countenance, which is genuine and reflects his personality. That same person might or might not be approachable and helpful toward others, but at that point we've already left the ground I was covering.
My point has to do with those "tough guy" looks that are adopted for the photo, oftentimes along with sunglasses or perhaps war paint on the face, regardless of what the person's natural demeanor might be. I am speaking from some experience here, having been in on campaigns where people having their pictures taken were being given art direction, being told what kind of look to adopt. What I'm saying is that, in the name of helping newcomers feel welcome in our traditions, it's better to adopt a friendlier look. If we really want our sports to continue in future generations – something that is vital to the future of conservation, given that hunters and anglers pay almost all the freight – I believe it's crucial to adopt a friendly look in photos and video, and that we should want to share what we know with others, so that they might be more successful than they otherwise would be.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » June 13th, 2012, 12:10 am

oh yes mark im with u on the guys being told to model for pics & what not i still have to laugh when i see a guy with the turkey over his back walking away pic...???

i guess i take pics for me & my family to enjoy so i have little knowledge of pro hunters take n pics to sell books calls camo ETC. but my 1st thing out of my mouth when i take pics for others is get all that junk i use other words off your face B4 you take a pic sun glasses in pics are just goofy if u ask me but i dont use them so each to there own...

i more have a prob with the guys that dont respect the wild turkey they just harvested by throwing it around & basicly spur & beard hunting they are the same folks crack n on others for shooting a jake & passing on the trophy only mentality... im off topic so i stop now lol..

i am a jokester & all for fun & games but just not in the turkey woods i guess i should learn to smile more in pics i think? i found a pic last nite wear it looked like i seen a mortal enemy ??? i had just walked bout 2.5-3 miles in hot humid weather with a 23 pound gobbler in my vest so maybe that was to blame??? lol

PreviousNext

Return to At the Roost: Talk Turkey Hunting with Your Favorite Celebrities