IFAK

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

IFAK

Postby grunt_doc » January 23rd, 2009, 1:50 pm

As promised in my vest post...the Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK)I decided that it was time to repost and update to my last safety post.  The spring season is still a few painfull months away, but that's plenty of time to get everything together.  An IFAK is usually the last thing you think about, but the 1st thing you wish you had with you when you need one. 

All you need are the basics.  You don't have to re-invent the wheel and you don't have to spend the $$ on a high speed tactical kit.  Don't bother to load up on stuff you already have with you.  Most of us carry a multi-tool and or knife, plastic bag, length of rope, orange cloth, ect.  There is no need to bulk up with stuff you already have with you.  None of it, however will do you any good if you don't have the knowledge to back it up.  Hit up a firehouse/police station/boy scout troop and get the basics! 

For those of you that need it, have current Rx inhaler or nitro pill or any other type of emergency medications. 

Nothing has changed since the first time I brought this up...I'm STILL not your mother.  Ask any of the former Jar Heads on this forum however, and they understand...I AM STILL a Corpsman.  Even if not officially anymore.  I'll always have this kind of stuff going on in my noggin.  I would love to get some back and forth on this.  Even if just one non-registered lurking part time outdoorsman learns one thing...I would be happy.

grunt_doc

RE: IFAK

Postby grunt_doc » January 23rd, 2009, 1:56 pm

here's mine.  It weighs less than a pound. top left to right: bag, small battle dressing, 2 compressed rolls of compressed gauze, non stick pads.  shears, alcohol pads, whistle, large battle dressing, "cinch tight" (dressing with an ace wrap attached), tourniquet *, chem light. 

*learn the proper application before you mess with these!

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » January 23rd, 2009, 2:08 pm

Wow, gruntdoc,...."small battle dressing....large battle dressing"?  Are you expecting the turkeys to shoot back at you?  Image

Just kidding, buddy,...your point is well taken.  We all should be prepared for the unexpected while afield.  Thanks for the reminder and the list of stuff to have along.  Much appreciated!

Jim

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 23rd, 2009, 2:33 pm

HI GRUNT DOC

Nice kit looks like you are well prepared,I have a question regardeing "SNAKE BITE" what is the proper
treatment if this should occur seems today everybody has a different opinion.
I am talking in a wilderness invironment where the nearest road could be several miles.

Turkeybuster

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 23rd, 2009, 3:00 pm

Gobblerman, That's just what they are called: battle dressings.  bevieve it or not, they haven't changed since WWI.  They are still issued the same way, in wax paper wrappers.  I have lots of left over issed gear at home.  If it ain't broke....

Turkeybuster,   **any advice in this thread posted from ANYONE should not take the place of good training!!**

that being said, the current method is to refrain from cutting, suction, constriction, or anything like that.  Keep the site lower than the heart and stay as calm as possible.  (low heart reate) If possible, phone/radio for help to minimize movement.  If that is not possible, travel with as much attention to keeping the site low and your heart rate down.  If you are in an areas prone to snake bites, hook up with the conservation officers/ game wardens and learn from them-that would be the best move.  They would even be able to give you some hands on practice/training on how to dress the would.  Hope that helps. 

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 24th, 2009, 2:57 pm

Thanks grunt doc

I do hunt in some snaky places in northern Pa. old slate mine areas and rattler dens and most of these
places are in remote areas.
A lot of times I am alone and cell phones don't work so It is a bad situation.
I heard that cutting was frowned upon now and want to thank you for your input.

Turkeybuster

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » January 25th, 2009, 3:59 am

In addition to taking the time to get trained on treating a snake bite, I would also reccomend learning about snake habitat and behavior.  That way, you will know their likely hang out places based on weather,temp, time of day, ect  and you can plan your hunt accordingly. 

The best injury treatment of all is to prevent the injury in the 1st place.

Doc

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » January 25th, 2009, 6:42 am

I took the first step Doc it was a pair of Danner 18" snake boots that will at least protect the bottom
part of this old body.
I have been around snakes all my life living in the the mountains of Pa. and have the greatest respect for them.
Awareness and common sense seems to be your best protection when the weather warms up.

Turkeybuster

Tntrkyhntr

Postby Tntrkyhntr » January 26th, 2009, 3:26 pm

I had a situation this past fall that required quick thinking on my part to control bleeding from a cut acquired by a Gerber tree saw....first time I ever had an accident while hunting where a serious injury occured...(22 years)  I now carry a similar variation of first aid kit any time I go to the woods...Great advice!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Commando Hunting Products Pro Staff
President Middle Tn Kids Hunting For A Cure

headshot870

Postby headshot870 » February 10th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Hey Doc,

Nice kit! The only things in mine that I didn't see in yours were Quik-clot (for heavy bleeding), a couple tampons (for large punctures) & nitrile gloves (to protect you if helping others). I've caught all kinds of flak from others about being paranoid & overly cautious, but when they slice themselves or do something else stupid, who do you think they run to?

IFAK's are cheap & easy to carry life insurance. As Karl Malden used to say, "don't leave home without it".

Semper Fi!

Nathan

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion