Put one back the other day

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Treerooster

Put one back the other day

Postby Treerooster » June 5th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Got a call from the Colo DOW and they had a Bald Eagle chick that was about half grown fall from the nest. The chick spent a few days at the Rocky Mountain Raptor rehab facility before we got him home. There was a 2nd chick in the nest so the adults kept active on it.

So anyways I got to put him back. Felt good to touch an eagle again and be in a Bald Eagle nest.

You'd think he would have a happier expression now that he is home again...I don't think he likes me though. :D

The nest was very small by normal standards and I think he either got blown out or possibly could have been knocked out (accidently) by its sibling when it stretched or flapped its wings.
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

Bobbyparks

Re: Put one back the other day

Postby Bobbyparks » June 5th, 2012, 8:38 pm

Great that the effort is there to watch out for these birds...and that you are involved.

How does it work...do you have the bird secured...restrained?......looks like he could and would take a chunk out of you?

And how do you climb with him or do you climb and hoist?
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 5th, 2012, 8:40 pm

cool story :D

raptors are such charismatic birds, always neat to see them out and about.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » June 5th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Good job! It must feel good to give back to Mother Nature :D
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » June 5th, 2012, 8:50 pm

Bobby the rehab guy had him in a dog crate in the back of his van. I climb up to the nest first and then they put the eaglet in a bag and I haul it up on my climbing line. I just open the bag and the chick is pretty eager to get out of it.

They are very docile really although a few have gotten agressive when I was banding them. Some will bite and hit me with their wings but they don't have the strength yet and all I have to watch out for is those needle sharp claws. If they grab you its hard to get them to let go. :shock:
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

dewey

Postby dewey » June 5th, 2012, 10:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the story treerooster! That is a awesome thing you are doing for mother nature.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 6th, 2012, 12:18 pm

nice work, they are awesome creatures.....good to see folks, like yourself, looking out for them
David

You never know, unless you go

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » June 11th, 2012, 12:08 am

That's pretty cool right there :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion