How many...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkynut54

RE: How many...

Postby trkynut54 » February 9th, 2009, 4:22 pm

I think I would pass out if I saw a buck like that. Was that taken on  public or private land?
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 9th, 2009, 4:31 pm

nice photos  very clear....congrats on your kills[:D]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 9th, 2009, 7:17 pm

At the lease,I'm allowed one guest per season...after the three of us who do most of the work at the lease tag a Gobbler, and that's it for that piece of land. One of my best friends from high school came & hunted with a few years ago on opening day because the land owner (who also hunts with us) was at the beach on vacation.  We each ended up tagging nice Gobblers & it still ranks as my best day in the turkey woods.

I also have an ace-up-the-sleeve spot I don't hunt much because it is tiny, but when the birds get pressured elsewhere, they usually show up at that spot. I've only had it two years & haven't taken a bird off it yet, but It will only be a matter of time. It is less than 50 acres in size.

Several years ago, I invited a guy I worked with to come deer hunt at some property I had permission to hunt behind my house.  Turns out he came back (un-invited on a day when I was off at work) and hunted the adjacent piece of property (which even I did not have permission to hunt). He also parked where he shouldn't have been. Thankfully, he didn't shoot anything, but that was the last time I showed anybody (who I didn't regularly hunt with) one of "my spots".

Now, I have met others at their land and called up birds for them, but I'd never think about going back on my own uninvited.  I have also met up with another turkey hunter at a place we scouted together before we hunted it, but it is also not somewhere I hunt regularly. I have enough fun hunting alone or with one of my buddys at the lease, that I haven't recruited many others to go with. The guys at the lease are safe & respectful and take the game seriously.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 10th, 2009, 9:20 am

you talkin 'bout the stallion?[:)]

NTBNB

Postby NTBNB » February 10th, 2009, 9:29 am

Your question is a good one, and as an outfitter who takes turkey hunters, I have to think about everyones safety as well as mine. We have a safety talk before anyone leaves the lodge to go hunting, ie. no loaded guns in the house or trucks, be sure of your target..... and (knock on wood) we've never had an accident involving a firearm. Also, anyone who doesn't want to obey the rules...is gone!

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 9:36 am

ORIGINAL: Morgan

I rarely hunt with anyone in the spring other than my son....on the occasions that I've had somebody come...I show em the lines and let them hunt alone...while I hunt another area....any guest of mine better follow the game laws...or I will put my warden neighbor on em...and send em home...

You mean you aint sitting by me?...Dang..
turkeykiller

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 10th, 2009, 5:28 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander
Rutt there's a guy on here looking for a new steady.

Sorry TC, I'm already taken.  I don't think my girlfriend would appreciate you coming on to me like that either!!! [;)] [:D]
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 10th, 2009, 5:29 pm

ORIGINAL: trkynut54

I think I would pass out if I saw a buck like that. Was that taken on  public or private land?

Private land, in SE Ohio. 

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 10th, 2009, 5:30 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

nice photos  very clear....congrats on your kills[:D]

Thanks tdh, I thought you might enjoy them!!! [:D]

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion