Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
wordbird

RE: Enclosed Turkey Blinds...

Postby wordbird » February 10th, 2009, 3:42 am

I disagree. It's just another tool that you can choose to use. It has the same effect as building a natural blind. It goes right along with what you might choose in camo, calls, 50 yard turkey guns, etc. I you deem them unfair, what about all these other things we use to fool them?

I've got two pop ups but have never turkey hunted out of them. I like to stay mobile. I do need to start utilizing them when I bow hunt the turkeys though.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 10th, 2009, 3:50 am

I have a Double Bull that I bought many years ago for bowhunting deer.  I don't use it anymore because I blew both shoulders and can't pull a bow.  I used it once for turkey on a rainy day.  I have never felt so claustrophobic in my life.  I never got to the point of pondering the fairness or not of its use.  It just defeated the purpose of being in the springtime woods which is being in the springtime woods and not inside some peeping tom contraption. 
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 3:53 am

I have found them to be quite useful in taking kids....
turkeykiller

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 10th, 2009, 4:03 am

I usually go on 10-15 kid hunts each year, so I do find them useful on the first few hunts with a kid. I then like to ween them out of it and show them the run and gun and the sit and wait method.

I have several spots that we have made a natural blind out of using tree limbs and brush, so I'm not sure there is much difference.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 10th, 2009, 4:40 am

I understand what your saying, I myself don't care for them...but when you have a kid who hasn't been trained to sit still for more than 15 minutes you find them very useful.

My son is now 15 so when we hunt together we don't need the blind, he likes the sit and wait method and he sits so still he falls asleep EVERY time lol.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 10th, 2009, 4:56 am

I don't own one and have never hunted from one but I do see they have there place with disabled sportsman and elderly hunters that are not as mobile as the rest of us are.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 10th, 2009, 6:02 am

I personnaly dont use one,but I could see where they would be a great benefit to children for their first hunt. If the dog comes around and is ready this fall I may get one of those stake blinds that you put in front of you,but I'm not fully commited to that.I'll just have to see where were at come that time.
canecreekcalls.com

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 10th, 2009, 6:08 am

Due to an absolute Monsoon in SD last year, and very few days to hunt sat in one for the first time. I was amazed at how close turkeys would actually come to the blind. Stared eye to eye with hens and could have reached underneath and pulled there feet from out from them.

Had a gob coming in rippin behind us and did not have that particular window open. Never saw him and the blind cost me. Never sit in one again.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 10th, 2009, 6:11 am

We have a disabled friend we bring out to the lease and set him up in an enclosed blind. He is not able to sit comfortably on the ground, so the blind really helps give him the same chances the rest of us enjoy. Never hunted out of one myself.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 10th, 2009, 10:49 am

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

You got more patience than I do.....I would think a short stick blind would work just fine for a kid.

People can bad mouth the dA'coy all day long...kick them off the porch like Tom Kelly did.

But I'm telling you these enclosed blinds are the scurge of turkey hunting.

Natural built blinds are illegal in PA...Have anything else ya wanna argue about?
turkeykiller

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion