shrooms

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkyklr

shrooms

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 3:42 pm

it wont be long & it will be time to look for 'em, its a part of spring turkey huntin' for me,we only have them for the first 2 weeks of april.

trkyklr

RE: shrooms

Postby trkyklr » February 9th, 2009, 3:44 pm

nothin better than fresh gobbler breast & mushrooms

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 3:45 pm

I'm bummed. [sm=s14.gif]  I'm not likely to make it to morel country this season.  That will be 2 years without.  Hopefully I'll make it up north next season. 
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 10th, 2009, 3:46 am

They grow down South too rutnNstrutn, I am from Indiana but live in NC so I hunted them my whole life.

I use to be bummed about not having morels here in NC but about 3-4 years ago I found one while turkey hunting, so now I actually look for them and find a 'mess' or two every year.

Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

wordbird

Postby wordbird » February 10th, 2009, 12:16 pm

TK, where do you find them in our area? I've never seen around here. I friend of mine from Leoma has found a few but I don't know where.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 10th, 2009, 1:04 pm

under ash trees & loose barked trees the more bark on the ground the better, filled a gallon size zip lock in giles county last year one morning while shoppin' for a bird

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 10th, 2009, 4:07 pm

we found some last year while turkey hunting thinking about going back this year and getting them.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 10th, 2009, 5:25 pm

ORIGINAL: tracebusta32
They grow down South too rutnNstrutn, I am from Indiana but live in NC so I hunted them my whole life.
I use to be bummed about not having morels here in NC but about 3-4 years ago I found one while turkey hunting, so now I actually look for them and find a 'mess' or two every year.

I've been turkey hunting for about 15 years here in Florida, but haven't seen any morels.  But, I am on a lease in the Low Country of S. Carolina.  Anyone heard of morels down there?
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 11th, 2009, 4:08 am

I don't know about SC, the weather there may be a little to extreme in the low country
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » February 15th, 2009, 3:53 am

I hunt in SE MN most years and there is one group that comes with a 45' motor home w/all the fixen's 5/6 guys can sometimes pick near 100 pounds @ 75 bucks a pound were they Fed Ex them to out the east coast ! Chef's in high end resturants will pay top dollar for "fresh" mushrooms...   

They are courtious to the hunters and wait till 10 am before going out and will stay out of your spot if you stay in one spot. I hunt with a bow so I sit all day from 4:30 am to somtimes 8:30 pm in late May.  So I just found a new spot, now I have had "bird watchers" on my Hazel Creek decoys spread!
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion