Drying a tail fan

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
RNC

Drying a tail fan

Postby RNC » May 26th, 2008, 3:58 pm

I got the tails from the birds dad and I took spread out and drying, how long does it take to dry so they stay fanned out?

PATKYHTR

RE: Drying a tail fan

Postby PATKYHTR » May 27th, 2008, 5:16 am

I usually let them dry out for at least 4 weeks. I also have a dehumidifier which helps dry them out quicker. I then use a hot glue gun to glue the base of the tail so the feathers will never fall off and stay in place and  the glue also prevents any rotting if there is any fat or meat that wasn't trimmed off. 

Singin

Postby Singin » May 27th, 2008, 11:46 am

Try to cut as much meat off as you can and pack it full of salt or Borax. Pin it down with some thumbtacks or nails. It might stink a bit so just tell the wife thats normal. While your waiting for it to dry you can spend that time sucking up to her so you can put it in the livingroom. I find that flowers or dinner works best for that.

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » May 29th, 2008, 3:04 am

We have some phesant tail feathers that are 50-60 years old that we put in a vase at Thanksgiving.  It's a tradition that my grandfather started.  I did the same with my turkey feathers.  a mix of tail and wing feathers looks nice.  It might go over easier than a full fan on the wall. 

Doc

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion