"Awakening By Bow"

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
Fan Club

"Awakening By Bow"

Postby Fan Club » April 23rd, 2008, 5:04 am

Kudos to Scott Bestul for his "Awakening By Bow" article in the T & TH Spring '08 issue. An essay on the surge in popularity of bowhunting turkeys was long overdue.

Many of his remarks are spot on, especially in the ethics argument area. The "archery-as-folly slant that gunhunters purvey" and "the implication that bows and arrows are somehow unethical to use for turkeys" are astute observations that most every archer has heard.

It's no coincidence that the spring bowhunting boom has paralleled the development of high tech bows, portable ground blinds and strutting gobbler decoys. After all, proximity is the key to archery success. I must express my disappointment, however, at his avoiding any mention of the latest phenomenon, archery headshots on turkeys with guillotine style broadheads. The guillotine has been the hottest topic at the last several NWTF conventions. You can't find a chat room discussion about bowhunting turkeys anywhere on the internet that doesn't include comments on the guillotine, including the forum sponsored by this magazine. With all due respect to Brooks Johnson, the traditional archery tackle he prefers and the Double Bull blinds tie-in on Scott's hunt, this is a glaring omission.

I have always held T & TH in the highest regard as the foremost turkey hunting publication and will continue to do so. The magazine has never shyed away from any controversial subject, including ambushing/bushwhacking turkeys, the use of gobbler decoys and the mainly southern tradition of hunting turkeys with dogs. The clock is ticking and it's long past the time when the bowhunting turkey headshot should have been recognized as a viable method for harvesting our grand game bird.

respectfully,

Jeff Bobrofsky

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
Teddy Roosevelt
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Fan Club

RE: "Awakening By Bow"

Postby Fan Club » June 2nd, 2008, 6:15 am

Now that turkey hunting season is over, I had hoped that Scott would address my post and provide his slant on the guillotine. (?)

Jeff
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Return to Magazine Feedback