Why not start getting ready for next year right now?

Guns, ammo, and more! What do you shoot, and why?
Cut N Run

Why not start getting ready for next year right now?

Postby Cut N Run » June 1st, 2012, 7:57 am

I was bumping around on Cabela's website (as I do too regularly according to my wife) and found Hevi shot 3 inch shells with 2 oz. or #7s on sale for $19.99 per box versus the regular price of $26.99. I bought a few boxes for testing and so that I'm ready come next spring...of course that is IF I have turkeys to shoot at...just kidding. I'll store the ammo in a dry box and will be testing at the range with some of it over the summer.

This week my best friend and I managed to secure exclusive rights to 600 acres of prime turkey hunting land beside the river that hasn't been hunted in years. Happy, happy, joy, joy!!

I'd rather have plenty of ammo ready than be scrambling around at the last minute hoping to find what I need.

Jim
Last edited by Cut N Run on June 8th, 2012, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Gopherlongbeards

Re: Why not start getting for next year right now?

Postby Gopherlongbeards » June 1st, 2012, 9:16 am

Congrats on the new hunting spot Jim, looks like your luck in the turkey department is starting to turn ;)

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » June 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm

Congrats on the new hunting land Jim. I always love it when I find new land to hunt on because you can never have to much. Also, I know what you mean about the turkey ammo. My wife just happen to notice that I had 10 boxes of shells and asked if I had enough. Of course, I said no because you never know when you might have a really bad year and cant hit the broad side of a barn. :lol:
Is it turkey season yet?

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » June 3rd, 2012, 9:13 am

nice job finding that new spot, and so soon !!, for i while i would buy a box of #5 hi vel. everytime i was i wally wld, as they had the lowest price of everybody, i have eight boxes !! [ armageddon's comin ya know ], they probably won't out live me, but should come darn close.... :shock:
David

You never know, unless you go

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » June 3rd, 2012, 2:15 pm

Awesome Jim!!! glad to see you got a new spot to hunt after all the crap you went through this year. I am going to work on getting some new spots too seeing i had some problems at my spot also. and about the ammo, its a good idea to buy after the season cause every thing is always cheaper.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » June 4th, 2012, 9:17 am

Congrats on your new huntin spot Jim and hopefully you won't be over run by a bunch of yoyo's next year. I always buy my ammo after the seasons are done, most times you can find what your shooting on sale, some place.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » June 4th, 2012, 10:28 am

I'd like to add my congratulations as well and add an idea to help everyone get ready for the next season.

I'd recommend that you give still target shooting a try. It's a sport that simulates turkey hunting. You sit on a "low boy" stool and shoot at a turkey shaped target, with a red 3" circle in the middle of the neck area, at 40 yards. The pellets in the 3" circle are counted to determine the winner. It's a lot of fun and you can see just how well your turkey gun shoots. There is also a 10" circle that surrounds the 3" target area, so you can easily count the pellet hits there to see your hunting pattern.

These shoots take place in various parts of the country, so there may be one very near you.

I've been participating in this sport for 12 years or so, shot in many parts of the U.S. and met a lot of fine folks doing it.

Come join us.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » June 8th, 2012, 9:24 pm

yea i have some people that work at the big box. and when they take all the hunting stuff down to make way for boating or whatever all the hunting stuff goes into a "bin" my connection can talk to the person in sporting goods and they can mark anything down at all down to like a dollar. like last week i got 2 dozen dove decoys for 2 dollars. our big box has a excellent turkey section so im about to put in another look.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

allen.riggs

Re: Why not start getting ready for next year right now?

Postby allen.riggs » June 9th, 2012, 12:37 am

I like to take my turkey gun out at least every couple weeks and run a round or two through her. I usually use HeviShot #6 for my turkeys, however, I have been shooting the Magnum Blend through the SX3 with a HeviShot choke tube and the results are great whether 10 yards or 50. When the fall turkey hits, I'll be ready and dialed in. Can't wait! If anyone out there has experience with the Magnum Blend, tell me about it.

Cut N Run

Re: Why not start getting ready for next year right now?

Postby Cut N Run » June 10th, 2012, 6:33 am

I shot quite a bit of magnum blend at the range, though I got better performance out of straight #6s of Hevi 13. I'm not sure why my gun likes the #6s better, but it does.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Shooting