Preseason calling...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Preseason calling...

Postby silvestris » February 8th, 2009, 1:35 am

Oh, the shame; oh, the horror, Mark.  For that you get one weeks time out, beginning the opening day of turkey season.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 2:11 am

DA' GUMMIT WILLIAM,
you're rough,,,,,A WHOLE WEEK ? better at the beginning of season than the end . i prefer the green leafy , dense cover portion of season anyway.
can i pay a fine instead?

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 3:06 am

well , what can i say ? i didn't have the luxury of a quality teacher . yes i should have had the good sense to know better . i didn't start turkey hunting with any measure of SERIOUSNESS until i was 40 yrs old. but i'm making progress,,,i think.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 8th, 2009, 3:49 am

> Whats the difference between preseason calling and calling to the same bird(s) every day for a week or two trying to kill him?... <

Two weeks.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

SamuraiTater

Postby SamuraiTater » February 9th, 2009, 3:49 pm

Went out scouting birds on private hunt club land with a feller last March.  We drove to about a dozen different spots and at each one he was lighting the place up with his box call.  Never got a response all morning and I never said anything to him about his calling.  I figured it was his money for club dues and who was I to tell him what not to do ?

At one point we entered a large field and noticed massive turkey sign.  I pointed out which was the gobbler droppings and he didn't seem to believe one could really differentiate between hen crap and tom crap.  I wished I'd of had some Milk Duds in my pocket, I'd of used a bit of slight of hand and popped one in my mouth..."Yes sir, that's a gobbler alright !  His hormones are really rockin' too!  ....And I'd say he's been through here this morning."

Anyhoo, I followed the trail of sign to the field edge and beyond, down a ridge.  The scratchings and droppings and where they led were more important to me than any turkey's we hadn't seen, but the center of the field was all that interested him....and we headed off to another spot to call. [&o]

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 3:51 pm

I don't ever do it at a place that I can hunt.  That does educate the turks, and they are hard enough to kill already any way. [;)]
However, if I see turks at places I can't hunt, I let 'em have it with the calls.  I love to watch them gobble and take pics if I can.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion