Apply Now

charlie elk

Apply Now

Postby charlie elk » May 29th, 2012, 7:09 am

WDNR is now accepting applications for 2012 fall turkey drawing, deadline is August 10. You can also apply for 2013 spring season deadline December 10.
Applications must be submitted electronically via online licensing, at a vendor or the 800 number.
Submitted applications can be changed up to the day of deadline.
This should make for a faster more accurate drawing process.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Treerooster

Re: Apply Now

Postby Treerooster » May 30th, 2012, 8:18 am

Thanks for the heads up Charlie. I just put in my app for the fall Colorado season. Spring 2013 is too far away for me to plan which period to apply for now... but I do think about it now & then. :D

You said this should be a faster drawing. Did they eliminate mail in apps?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Treerooster wrote:You said this should be a faster drawing. Did they eliminate mail in apps?

Yes all except for Conservation Patron license holders. I posted the full press release on my personal site www.charlieelk.com

Even though there are thousands of leftover fall tags you will want to apply for the fall season that way you get a tag along with the purchase of your fall license. Those who do not apply can still buy a license and tags OTC but will not receive a "free" tag with the license.
later,
charlie

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 31st, 2012, 12:11 am

thanks charlie i will be applying for next springs 2013 season for sure seasons A or B 4 sure & then pick up a few extra tags for the later seasons C or D? E? i will apply early & hope i get a early season tag???

happy everybody had a good safe season out chase n spring turkeys

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 31st, 2012, 9:15 am

From what I've heard TJ it is pretty much impossible for a NR to draw an A or B season tag in WI, just because of the way they do their lottery. Residents get preference over NR no matter the amount of preference points.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 31st, 2012, 11:10 am

yeah gopher i have herd of that B4 but i hope that maybe there mite could be a few left-overs sometime so i mite as well apply being that i can always just go buy a season C-F with the amount of available tags left-over after the draw basicly i dont want to apply for a time period i can just go buy OTC later if i dont draw... shoot i have herd its hard for even a resident to draw a early tag a few residents complain each season about not being able to draw a early season tag??? any way i can only imagine that there will be more hunters then any other time periods out hunting public land the 1st 2 WKs so if i dont draw a tag for either season thats fine with me as i hunt public land & dont care for the large crowds!!! so??? wish me luck months in advance... lol

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 31st, 2012, 11:47 am

Oh i hear yah, the only reason i apply for early seasons in MN is so my season lasts longer. The later seasons are easy to get, and hunting is often better.

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 31st, 2012, 3:10 pm

turkey junky wrote:yeah gopher i have herd of that B4 but i hope that maybe there mite could be a few left-overs sometime so i mite as well apply being that i can always just go buy a season C-F with the amount of available tags left-over after the draw basicly i dont want to apply for a time period i can just go buy OTC later if i dont draw...

WI treats NR hunters very badly in the drawing. A NR cannot get a preference point that matters if there is resident in the drawing. For NR entering the drawing you will want to be in a time when all residents have been drawn. For example if you select season A, B, C by the time the drawing for C comes around you will at the bottom of the preference level. First WI draws all resident first choices, then resident second choices, third and so on. Then they come back and draw all NR first choice, second, third etc.
So for best results I recommend for unit 1 tag NR should apply for C, most likely they will get drawn then your license comes with a tag saving you $15. You can then buy OTC all you want from the available pool of tags.
I am hearing the licensing scheme is going to change in WI in 2014 or 2015 to an OTC system where the state will be divided into 2 zones north and south with separate regs and limits in each.
In 2013 there may not be a fall turkey drawing just OTC statewide.
later,
charlie

Treerooster

Postby Treerooster » May 31st, 2012, 6:16 pm

charlie elk wrote:
I am hearing the licensing scheme is going to change in WI in 2014 or 2015 to an OTC system where the state will be divided into 2 zones north and south with separate regs and limits in each.
In 2013 there may not be a fall turkey drawing just OTC statewide.

Do you have any idea what the limits might be?
As far as this turkey thing......I know enough...to know enough...that I don't know enough

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 31st, 2012, 11:19 pm

Charlie, have you heard what they want to do? Will it just be a set season like the fall or will there be seperate seasons like now. I have mixed feelings about one long season as the competition for spots in the early going would be terrible! I hunt mostly private land but most of those landowners only let one person in per season. I could see all OTC permits but just not sure how this will all work.

Got my applications in for fall and next spring in already though, so good to go!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Next

Return to Wisconsin