Turkey Handle

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
grunt_doc

Turkey Handle

Postby grunt_doc » February 7th, 2009, 5:14 am

Here are some pics of the turkey handle I made.  Just use a cow hitch (last pic) over the feet and you're off!  Last season, I had a several mile, endless hill hike out with what felt like a 100lb bird.  This should make things a bit easier. 

Mark: I got one for you for the wing and boot!
trkyklr:  Clean out your inbox!  I've been trying to PM you.

trkyklr

RE: Turkey Handle

Postby trkyklr » February 7th, 2009, 5:32 am

nice lookin' rope doc

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 7th, 2009, 6:37 am

THANKS DOC,
a feller cain't have too many turkey toys .

linda hay

Postby linda hay » February 7th, 2009, 8:03 am

ok ! first off you can have to many turkey things. especially when he starts moving into my territory.he has a room full of turkey stuff and not to mention the garage, now he's puttin stuff in the living room. whats a woman to do ? before long everyone will be calling us THE TURKEY"S. instead of the HAYS hah hah!!in case you don't know it i'm marks wife and i just had to throw this in.
turkey fryer

boone52

Postby boone52 » February 7th, 2009, 8:58 am

Grunt Doc-----I'll do you one better----for carrying those "40" pound turkeys out of the woods. I took an old padded gun sling I had in my gun case and tied a piece of stout cord (rope) to each end of the sling. After you shoot your bird, you just loop one end of the sling to both his legs and the other end around his head. Then just lift the bird up by the sling and lay the padded part of the sling on one shoulder (or across both shoulders) and walk away. This way the weight of the bird is on your shoulder(s).  I like to put the tail facing front so I can watch and not damage the feathers as I walk back to the truck.
I hunt the mountains of North Carolina and usually have to walk a considerable distance to find a gobbling tom.
This is my first post-----I sure enjoy all of your comments.
Why do we love turkey hunting so much ???  To me it's the prolonged chase. With deer hunting it's usually over in a matter of seconds. But hearing a gobble, working your way toward the gobble, keeping track of him with hen or non-hen noises and then planning your plan of attack takes time--- sometimes even hours. We all stay on a prolonged "hunting high" with turkey hunting.
My wife and I are going to the NWTF convention two weeks from today !!!!!!
boone52  

shaman

Postby shaman » February 7th, 2009, 12:04 pm

I guess it was hunting all those years on public land, but I always feel safer carrying them out with this thing.  It's light enough that I don't notice it wadded up in a pocket .  It's just nylon tafetta and some straps. I got mine over 20 years ago, and it's still like new. 

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 7th, 2009, 12:38 pm

is it still like new due to the lack of birds you have put in it??[:D][:D]

shaman

Postby shaman » February 7th, 2009, 1:13 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

is it still like new due to the lack of birds you have put in it??[:D][:D]

Oh, I've put plenty of birds through it.  However, actual use does not affect it all that much.  It's the days and days each season that it gets battered about in the bottom of  my pack that would do it in.  However, I happened to have a nylon sleeve for it that protects it. The only maintenance I've done on it is rinsing out with the hose after each use, and a coating of waterproofing when I was doing a tent floor about 10 years ago.

It also does duty in the Spring and Fall when I'm going out to put out or retrieve ground blinds.  We also use it in during camping season to carry all the ponchos.

The big destoryer of light nylon is exposure to sun. I had one just like this that I bought for the first wife when I bought this one. She let it sit on the front seat of her truck for a summer and it was bleached out and fallen apart by Fall.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 7th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Grunt Doc, that is some fine bradding there. Parachute cord?

I got one similar to TC except mine is wider in the strap. What you can do using those is have an orange flag of some kind to put on when carring bird or birds.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 7th, 2009, 1:39 pm

You guys are over thinking this one just grab the legs throw em over your shoulder and walk out or if your vest can hold one put him in there.

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion