What do you shoot?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
jpb

RE: What do you shoot?

Postby jpb » February 6th, 2009, 8:33 am

Beards only for me.I can only take 2 birds a year.Two bearded toms with no fall season.Or one spring bearded tom and one fall hen or tom.

Joe

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 6th, 2009, 10:19 am

I havn't shot a jake since I was a kid.  Always hold out for a longbeard, but I would let any youngin' or newbie shoot a jake in my presence and never chastise him/her for it as long as they live.  I believe that getting the young ones or newbies into hunting is what it's all about and to rob them of the thrill of hunting even when there isn't a brute in sight is a shame to say the least.
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 6th, 2009, 5:14 pm

ORIGINAL: jpb

Beards only for me.I can only take 2 birds a year.Two bearded toms with no fall season.Or one spring bearded tom and one fall hen or tom.

what do you call this place?hell on earth 

jpb

Postby jpb » February 6th, 2009, 7:22 pm

trkyklr..Ya want to hear the best part.The zone I live in does not have a fall season.And my spring season is shorter than the rest of the state.I think I need to `move.
Joe

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 6th, 2009, 11:36 pm

My goal is longbeard first however, I hate to say if not accomplished by end of season then I will consider a jake if he gives me a good hunt.  I will not shoot real short bearded one. I will pass them up
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 7th, 2009, 4:18 am

Longbeards.......
"Old School Elitist"

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 7th, 2009, 4:29 am

trkyklr..Ya want to hear the best part.The zone I live in does not have a fall season.And my spring season is shorter than the rest of the state.I think I need to `move.

are you lookin'?

jpb

Postby jpb » February 7th, 2009, 6:24 am

[quote]arare you lookin'?

Naw I like where im at. Just wish Mass would ease up on some of its turkey regs.Heck I would be happy to hunt later than Noon.
Joe

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 7th, 2009, 6:53 am

confession time ,,,,,,,,,i've taken several jakes in my short turkey hunting career. but as i PROGRESS in the learning of the ART the less important it is to me whether i fill a tag or not. so i must say with all honesty that it'll be nothing but LONGBEARDS from here on , whether spring or fall . i've eaten enough tags already that i'm starting to aquire a taste for them. the ability to trick ol' tom into my shootable space is more vital to me than actually shooting him. believe me ,IF i do call him in and i can make a FOR SURE shot i will squeeze the trigger.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 7th, 2009, 6:54 am

are you lookin'?

Naw I like where im at. Just wish Mass would ease up on some of its turkey regs.Heck I would be happy to hunt later than Noon.

dang dude only till noon?it keeps gettin' worse

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion