Vic's First Turkey

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
putt

Re: Vic's First Turkey

Postby putt » January 24th, 2012, 8:11 pm

Charlie

It's waaay too long until the Wisconsin spring turkey season, especially my permit period, so I need some stories to ease the waiting pain.

There must be a few more stories from Vic's rookie turkey-dog season. Did you ever get him to bark while he's breaking the flock, & how are his lying-still skills coming? Gotta be tough for a puppy to be expected to chase turkeys like mad & then a short time later to be expected to lay still as stone while those very same turkeys are coming back.

You get extra points if you include photos.

I did see your Vic-last-day-of-fall-turkey story on another thread.

Putt

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » February 9th, 2012, 10:42 am

By the time Dec 31 rolls around I am hunted out------------well for a couple of days. ;)
Then as you probably noticed over in the WI section I start obsessing about the spring hunt. My motto "it is never too early to start obsessing about the next hunt" Not only do I drive Mrs elk nuts but also those poor WDNR turkey folks, fortunately the WDNR folks are very patient and understanding. Perhaps that is because they recognize me as one of their top five customers for turkey permits. Yep you figured right that means there 4 other WI turkey hunters vying for top spot each year. :D
This is my work season meaning I work a lot of extra in order to free up hunting time for when it is hunting season. Some quick answers regarding the rookie season.
No Vic did not bark though with his long legs he closed the distance on the turkeys quickly causing them to loudly cackle on break.
He got better at holding still on call backs but still by season end suffered a serious case of the squirms after 30 minutes. Luckily more than a few turkeys showed up prior to the squirms.
Of course we didn't get a turkey every hunt who does and who wants to, that keeps it hunting. I have a lot of humorous and fun stories between work I'll try and post a few to ease our waiting pain. Man there are days it feels like the calender has stopped MOVING!
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

stankyolgobbler

Postby stankyolgobbler » February 22nd, 2012, 1:44 am

thats awesome stuff! fall hunting intrests me in that....i thought hunting them when they are their loudest and most vulnerable was hard enough!!!! great job and good luck to you this spring mr charlie
-Sage Morris

I like 'em close.....I mean REAL close.

xcal1ber

Postby xcal1ber » April 5th, 2012, 2:58 am

So how many dang birds did you kill last fall Charlie??
There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.
-Fred Bear

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2012, 5:23 pm

xcal1ber wrote:So how many dang birds did you kill last fall Charlie??

Sorry for the delay responding to your question I just noticed it now.
I hesitate to disclose the number; by most standards it was a lot and it is a lot every year. Fall 2011 was fewer than previous falls due to Vic's inexperience and need for ongoing training. He saved an awful lot of turkey's lives and I loved every minute of it.
Those who think a turkey dog makes turkey hunting easier are in for a surprise if they ever try turkey dogging. It is a challenge all its own.
There are 5 fall turkey hunters in WI who are at the top of harvest stats, the top guy is way out there in numbers (he must have done some depredation hunting), myself and the other 3 were more moderate with our kill numbers.
OK I know I answered in a riddle that is because we live in a time when so many are so envious of others who have and or do more of whatever. I fear if I were to publicly disclose my yearly kill there would be some who would campaign to put a per hunter limit on us. With the robust population of the resource and so few hunters (26,000 with a 21% success rate) there is no reason to place a limit on turkeys per hunter. There were 35,000 unsold OTC fall tags last year.
Besides I do not want get into a competition to see who can kill the most turkeys each year, there is no upside to that only the downside of severe damage to our way of life.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting