So, does mild winter+dry spring=good turkeys

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eddie234

So, does mild winter+dry spring=good turkeys

Postby eddie234 » May 29th, 2012, 10:39 am

With the mild winter we had and our spring was early and has been very dry so far (at least in WV) Do you think that will help bring up the turkey numbers? I'd like to get out and hang some trail camera's and do a little scouting to try and inventory the deer and turkey.
Twitter: @edvogler

Cut N Run

Re: So, does mild winter+dry spring=good turkeys

Postby Cut N Run » May 29th, 2012, 11:06 am

Consistently tame weather certainly can't hurt anything as far as turkey reproduction success goes. It seems that a mild winter has helped the insect population, which should also help the turkeys by increasing the amount of protein available to them. As long as we don't get those tropical weather systems to spawn hurricanes, it should be a good year for them.

I talked to a buddy who said his hay mowing destroyed a couple of turkey nests last week. It is probably late enough that those hens won't re nest. Plenty of other nests had to have survived on his property though.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

maineute

Postby maineute » May 30th, 2012, 10:56 am

For me the hay fields I hunt typically are only a foot high by the end of the season. My season ends Saturday and it is waste high. I set my decoy 20 yards from the blind in the dark, sun came up and I could not see it. This has to keep the harvest numbers down. With the good weather I have noticed more hunters than I have seen before.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 30th, 2012, 11:16 am

i believe it will help the poult survival rate, if indeed the weather pattern continues, cold/wet springs are just another obstacle that the poults have to hurdle to survive, if you take that away, it can't do anything but help.....

every gun makes its own tune.....

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion