I think I'm gonna try it!

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eddie234

I think I'm gonna try it!

Postby eddie234 » May 20th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I just feel like I left something in the woods this spring, I think I'm going to give fall hunting try this year. Stand by for some questions.
Twitter: @edvogler

kygobbler

Re: I think I'm gonna try it!

Postby kygobbler » May 20th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Hey eddie, you will enjoy it man. There is nothing like being close to a roost and hearing 20 birds talking up a storm when the sun is coming up.

fallhunt

Postby fallhunt » May 21st, 2012, 8:02 am

I like fall hunting the best.Longer seasons,all kinds of calling...You just don't know what will happen.Have fun.

ylpnfol

Postby ylpnfol » May 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm

the guys are right, it may be somewhat more difficult to find 'em, but when you do, it can be just as exciting as the spring [imo], just like the spring, get out there and find where they roost on your hunting grounds and have at it, you will enjoy it, i promise.....
David

You never know, unless you go

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 24th, 2012, 9:23 am

Absolutely not only try fall hunting but take it up.
You are not a full fledged turkey hunter until you learn to take birds in all seasons and under all legal conditions. Many spring turkey hunters I talk to don't bother fall hunting because it is too hard. In most states the success rate in the fall is between 14-20%, that is about the success rate on Mountain Goats. If you take away the fall turkeys that are killed incidental to another hunt and count only the birds killed on "purpose" the success rate on average is below 10%.
Granted these stats are not that encouraging but they should be just for the shear challenge of the pursuit. I guarantee if you start to understand fall and winter turkey flock makeup, the how and why they do things to establish pecking order; you will become a much more effective spring hunter. You'll also expand your working knowledge of turkey language 10 fold at least.
Steve Hickoff wrote an excellent book for the fall hunter - "Fall & Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook" This book took me from killing incidental fall turkeys to regularly killing fall turkeys on purpose. After reading this book I went out called in and killed those 3 fall gobblers in my icon. In WI we can kill as many turkeys as we buy tags for, no limit until all tags are sold out. :D
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

dewey

Postby dewey » May 24th, 2012, 12:18 pm

Good for you Eddie and if you have any questions Charlie Elk and fallhunt are very accomplished fall/winter turkey hunters. I enjoy fall turkey hunting as it is just another opportunity to hunt turkeys.

I just ordered the "Fall and Winter Turkey Hunters Handbook" from Steve Hickoff from Amazon for $8.52, $4.53 for the book and $3.99 for shipping, as it was so cheap that I couldn't pass it up.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 26th, 2012, 11:03 am

Fall hunting is the bomb. I shot my very first 3 turkeys in the fall, and my dad and i have been on some of our most memorable hunts when the leaves are falling. He shot a 25lb gobbler, him and i switched positions around a tree so i could get a shot since he had filled his tag, etc. take it up man, if you find the birds you wont be disappointed. Not to mention all the deer you get to see also :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » May 27th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Here In WV we don't get very long to fall hunt. I think it's like a week and our county is only open if spring numbers were good. I've got some ground I deer hunt in Ohio and I think there's is open for like six or eight weeks. My buddy who lives near my Ohio lease told me he hasn't seen any turkey's all spring.
Twitter: @edvogler

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » May 29th, 2012, 12:53 pm

fall hunting is still turkey hunting, so its a blast.
definitely more challenging in the fall when the toms arent chasin the hens and are only concerned with stayin alive.
roosts are still the no. 1 place to target morning and evening, but i've shot some nice toms just trolling around throughout the day. takes a lot of patience. i will sit in a spot a lot longer than in the spring cause even when you get a tom interested in your calling they usually take their time comin in.
i like using a glass, slate or crystal call with a hardwood striker and making gobbler yelps and clucks in the center of the call. some box calls make good tom calls, too.
we get a 9 day fall shotgun season in illinois around the last week of october but the archery fall season runs along with the deer bow season - first of october to mid-january. had a lot of close calls but still aint got one with the bow. maybe this year.

Uncle Nicky2

Postby Uncle Nicky2 » May 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Fall turkey is just as fun as spring turkey. The season here in PA is pretty short, but just across the border in NY the season runs 6 weeks. I've been fortunate enough to have found a couple affordable guides over the years with dogs,now THAT is some fun!!!!!! :D I plan to get a dog of my own some day, just not in the cards right now. Good luck Ed!!!

Next

Return to Fall Hunting