Techniques

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Gobblernut

RE: Techniques

Postby Gobblernut » February 4th, 2009, 2:52 pm

That's why I love this game!!! it's not about the kill it's about the hunt..The only animal in the world that can cause a human  to go so deep into thought.. My opinion wait 15 min and give a soft purr...Then wait him out...
Gobblernut

You can't kill'em sittin on the couch!!!!

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 4th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Not calling is a good call, the old cold shoulder call. Some may laugh but in situations like that I have just scratched the leaves a few times, or taken the wing and flapped it like a turkey streching and that has broke a few down in the past.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 4th, 2009, 5:14 pm

i like to tone down my calling to feeding clucks and purrs ....do some scatching ...and allot of looking..... [:)]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » February 4th, 2009, 6:24 pm

A lot depends on the situation. I can only go by similar experiences.

He may be in a strut zone and most calls won't do much to get him to come your way.. Go investigate after he's gone & see if you can find a place to set up near where he was. If it is a strut zone, he'll be back if you don't spook him.

Late in the season on private land I had one that would gobble several times from the roost, & gobble a couple of times when he hit the ground, then shut up.  I positioned myself along a favored bottom they travel a couple hundred yards away & did some gobble calls on top of his.  It really got him mad.  Turns out it was a pair of gobblers traveling together that passed too far for me to shoot.  I couldn't hunt that property the next couple of weeks, so I told a buddy the deal & he used the same trick to bag the dominant one of the pair a few days later.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 5th, 2009, 4:01 am

There are some great suggestions on here.

What I like to do if possible, after I have decided he isn't coming I get up and walk away ,calling as I am slowly walking away up to about 75 yds, then I sneak back to where I was and wait him out.

I have had this work for me on several occasions, but we are talking about the wild turkey so not everything will work every time.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

NastyRack

Postby NastyRack » February 6th, 2009, 2:48 am

ImageImage

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 6th, 2009, 3:07 am

i have to admit there is a strong favorism between the two,but i still have to ask what did he do to piss you off?

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 6th, 2009, 3:20 am

The photo on the right is attributed to wisturkeyhunter on photobucket/properties.

Is that him?
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 12th, 2009, 12:06 am

I was working a gobbler last year for about an hour. He was right down over a bank and wouldn't come up over. So I turned around and called him from behind the tree I was leaning against to sound like the hen was farther away. That made him move closer. I thought I saw him going through some ferns, I only saw the top of his back. It was him alright, he got above me. I never did get him.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 12th, 2009, 2:49 am

Odds are they are just "courtesy" gobbles to join the party. The tom is probably already in a preferred strut zone, already has hens with him or both.

All of the options mentioned are proven tactics. Aggressive calling followed by silence would probably be my first option. If the gobbler still had not moved after half an hour I would consider repositioning.

As has been noted, lots of variables there...
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

PreviousNext

Return to Strategies