1st Annual T&TH Hunt

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
Gopherlongbeards

Re: 1st Annual T&TH Hunt

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 24th, 2012, 2:16 pm

The only problems I see with that is the current zone structures in both states. Tiffany bottoms is split between Zones 1 and 4 in WI (although there are typically tons of leftover permits for both zones, especially zone 1), but WI will let you buy as many leftover tags as you would like. In MN the whitewater WMA is basically its own management unit (with a little bit of state forest land as well) and you are still only allowed 1 tag per spring/fall season in MN (even thought the last 4 time periods are unlimited OTC). I know I would not want to give up my chance to hunt my usual spring location/time period in MN to hunt the whitewater WMA. The WI season structure just lends itself better to this type of thing. Also (not to be a debbie downer about it, I love hunting in SE MN!) but WW state park is very prone to flooding, and it is not uncommon for it to be closed during the spring due to flood damage, especially if rains have been heavy.

simpzenith

Postby simpzenith » May 24th, 2012, 3:03 pm

That's exactly why I suggested that area. You have two zones in WI to hunt and a large area of MN to hunt. Flooding is only a problem at the park and not the WMA. If the birds are tough in WI then a short hop across the border might be all that's needed to fill a tag. Tons of ag fields and open hardwoods for those who like that sort of thing plus plenty of room to run 'n gun. Wherever its held, is sure to a good time.
2014 MN State & Iowa State Open Champion
http://www.CallingAllTurkeys.com

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » May 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm

simpzenith wrote:That's exactly why I suggested that area. Tons of ag fields and open hardwoods for those who like that sort of thing plus plenty of room to run 'n gun.

I'm all for that. Agriculture and hardwoods is where I'm most at home as it mirrors Michigan and Missouri habitat I hunt. I know the pines and prairie grass I hunted in Wisconsin hold a few birds, but I question what they have to feed on in that habitat and believe that they probably travel great distances from day to day.

It was great to meet you too Gary. I also would like to thank Scott and Randy for their hospitality, Scoot for puttin' up with me as a room mate, and Shane for the company. The harvest was off, mainly due to the early spring, but a good time was had by all.
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Previous

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion