recomendations

trkyklr

recomendations

Postby trkyklr » February 25th, 2009, 4:29 am

lookin for a wma with a descent population of birds in the northern portion of the state...any recomendations?

YEKRUT

RE: recomendations

Postby YEKRUT » February 25th, 2009, 1:57 pm

I would go with Skyline in Jasckson County. I have hunted it a few times and could give you a place or two to start if you need it. When you planning on hunting?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 25th, 2009, 3:28 pm

thinkin bout goin opening weekend or the next....thought about cherokee?...had a guy at work tell me it was full of birds & its not far from the house, figure i might go scout it a little this weekend if i can get away with it

YEKRUT

Postby YEKRUT » February 26th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I don't know anything about cherokee, make sure it opens with the early season and not april 1 as the northern part of the state does. I know Skyline does but not sure about cherokee.

Snedley

Postby Snedley » February 27th, 2009, 8:32 am

Are you talking coming the week of March 16 or are you waiting for April 1st?

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 27th, 2009, 8:57 am

i got to check the book....i didnt know bama had a split season until the backwards turkey mentioned it[:)]...but i want to hit a wma in the early season...thats why im thinkin of doin' it..to get in the woods at an earlier date than our opener(tn)

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 27th, 2009, 12:20 pm

i keep tryin to go to the bama get a liscence page & check the dates & prices...but for some reason im having difficulties with my box....../////////.......well checked it out & unfortunatley my end of the state doesn't open till the later part..thanx for the heads up i didnt know the state was split like that..what about the 4 day season in lauderdale county (east side of 43)?

Snedley

Postby Snedley » March 3rd, 2009, 12:13 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

i keep tryin to go to the bama get a liscence page & check the dates & prices...but for some reason im having difficulties with my box....../////////.......well checked it out & unfortunatley my end of the state doesn't open till the later part..thanx for the heads up i didnt know the state was split like that..what about the 4 day season in lauderdale county (east side of 43)?

If I'm not mistaken Lauderdale W.M.A. is open the whole month of April if that's what you mean. The W.M.A. is west of 43.

I just went and looked at the state site and you're kinda right. There is a 5 day hunt(April 21-April 25) on the east side of the county but it's not in a W.M.A.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » March 3rd, 2009, 12:18 pm

i realize the wma is not on the east side of 43, but i know 2 guys that have farms on the east side, one is 90 acres in greenhill & the other is 260 on blue water creek....correct me if im wrong but those birds haven't ever been legally hunted...i realized this while investigating the season for the early portion, now my thought proccess has changed 180!! the blue water farm has a major turkey population! 

Snedley

Postby Snedley » March 3rd, 2009, 12:42 pm

I believe you just may be right about that. I haven't kept up with how they've been expanding the season in that county, but I know they usually start with a 5 day season when they open new portions of it. That 260 acre farm you mentioned...I wanna go.[:D]

Next

Return to Alabama