How many...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkeydoghunter

RE: How many...

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 3rd, 2009, 5:01 am

one thing not mentioned when your thinking of inviting  a guest is their physical condition.....their medical hImageistory are they diabectic or have a heart condition ...do they have good joints ....are they able to walk the walk so to speak....i live in a hilly area of NY (mountains to most southern gentlemen}....and have had guests that couldnt make it so if you invite some one to hunt  ask them about it...it might save a hunt or better yet a lifeImage

shaman

Postby shaman » February 3rd, 2009, 5:04 am

. . . Oh, I forgot religion.  I got in quite a jam years ago.  I was invited to hunt with a somewhat well known turkey hunting family.  The one thing I was warned was that I was not supposed to discuss religion with the family's matriarch.  Sure, that's easy enough. I'm not prone to talking religion with complete strangers.

On the last day of hunting, I was the closest to the house, so I arrived about a half hour earlier than the rest. I was sitting outside, waiting for my ride back to town to show up.  The matriarch came out and wanted to know if I wanted coffee.  Sure.  Would I like to come in?  Sure.  Would I like a bit of home made biscuit and jam?  Sure.  Thank you very much.

There was a Coventry Cross in the Kitchen-- a copy of the three medieval iron nails that were found in the ruins of Coventry Cathedral when it got burned in the Blitz.   I'd been given a copy of it years ago when I was cast to play Father Mulcahey in a high school production of  M*A*S*H.  I admired the cross, and mentioned the prop.  The person who gave me the gift thought it would be more fitting to wear that instead of crucifix. For some reason, she couldn't think of me as a Catholic, and figured I could be an Episcopal chaplain instead. 

The lady of the house wanted to know why I wasn't still wearing it.  I said it was a rather large piece to go wearing around your neck everyday, and it had just been a prop for a school play.

The next thing I knew, I was running out of the house with this woman chasing me with her Bible demanding that I be washed in the Blood of the Lamb and accept JEEEEESUS Christ as my personal SAAAVEEEEYOUR!  About this time my buddy showed up and I escaped into the car and we took off.

"I told you not to talk religion!" he said.

"I just said she had a nice cross up in the kitchen." I said. "Honest!"

"You had to go and do it!!!" he said.   I don't think he ever fully forgave me.  I found out later that pretty much everyone  ran afoul of the woman; she was quite nuts and operated on a hair trigger.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » February 3rd, 2009, 1:02 pm

Great posts, Shaman!  Always entertaining.  Keep 'em coming.

Jim

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 5th, 2009, 12:24 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander

I'd be more concerned with their mental condition...

there are some looney toons out there thats for sure

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 5th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Some class posts, Shaman. Nicely done.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 6th, 2009, 1:35 am

Just before I turned in, he told me his older son had escaped from the mental hospital and might be heading our way and that I should keep an eye out.
[quote]ORIGINAL: shaman

I have to remember that one.  But, turkeydoghunter, don't be so hard on us diabetics.  We are doing the best we can on our stumps.  That is why we have to call so good.  We let the turkeys do the walking.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 6th, 2009, 2:23 am

ORIGINAL: silvestris

Just before I turned in, he told me his older son had escaped from the mental hospital and might be heading our way and that I should keep an eye out.
ORIGINAL: shaman

I have to remember that one.  But, turkeydoghunter, don't be so hard on us diabetics.  We are doing the best we can on our stumps.  That is why we have to call so good.  We let the turkeys do the walking.
....my dad is diabectic.....i know all about it..... got  to be carefull myself.....a good turkey hunter definitly lets the turkeys do the walking to their taking[:D]

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 3:58 pm

ORIGINAL: TurkeyComander
I've often wondered how many people just use these forums trying to get hunting spots ?
Today with all the internet hype you never really know who you are letting come hunt with you....

I just enjoy chatting with others on forums.  I'm no cyberscouter, but there are plenty of them out there - especially on the duck hunting forums!!
As for meeting people, you have to judge how they are by watching them post, and seeing what kind of person they are.  Then you get to know them on the phone, via email and the forums.  Then if you feel comfortable, you can invite them to hunt with you, or go hunt with them.  You just have to judge on what you are comfortable with.  Certainly you do have to be smart about it.
I've met many new friends on another forum that many of the guys here post on.  99% of the ones I chose to hunt with have been wonderful people and ethical hunters.  I have developed new friendships, gone on some awesome hunts and taken some great critters.  I've also had friends down to hunt with me, and guided a few of them to the Osceola they needed for their Grand Slam.
The Internet is a great way to meet new people and create hunting opportunities in places you don't normally get to hunt.  Just be cautious, and be smart.
Proud Member of the NRA, NWTF and UWF!

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

Legal = ethical, so if you don't like it, don't do it!!

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 4:07 pm

If it wasn't for hunting with friends I met on the Internet, I wouldn't have been able to take some very fine critters, including this 181-7/8" sixteen point Ohio buck, and this Eastern gobbler with a 13-13/16th's inch beard.

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » February 9th, 2009, 4:14 pm

No, I'm not on D&DH.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion