first time in years

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
homunculi

first time in years

Postby homunculi » May 21st, 2012, 4:04 pm

for the first time in over 14 years i have walked away from a spring season without bagging at least one spring gobbler ...

this has not been a good year so for me hunting wise and most of the problem was my employment lack of employees and not being able to get out to hunt more than about 5 times for the spring season this year ... not mention some medical issues (heart) that came up prior to opening day that i am still dealing with

so it is tag soup x2 for me for the 2012 ohio spring season...

to everyone who bagged a bird this spring ... CONGRATS .. :D :D :D :D

i am in hopes to get myself a fall gobbler this year and have the employees on staff so that i can get out ...

maineute

Re: first time in years

Postby maineute » May 21st, 2012, 5:08 pm

It happens, which catch phrase do you want to hear? That is why they call it hunting not killing, this will make you appreciate those kills that much more.... what ever you hear, it just plain sucks, better luck in the fall.

homunculi

Postby homunculi » May 22nd, 2012, 8:22 am

i know ... think i am more aggravated with work than anything else but, i have a job.. .. and last year was so wet and rainy the birds were so quiet it was weird ...

and well they were quiet for me this year the only time i heard anything was at daybreak when they were roost gobbling ...and yelping

and the one day when i did have one come in it was a hen i had laid my calls down for a few to have a little coffee when she came in .. i was focus on the head and hesitated on the shot and when she came out from behind the ground cover and i could see no beard at all i relaxed and just watched her for the next 20-30 min
and did not see anything the other mornings ... just heard them ..

shaman

Postby shaman » May 22nd, 2012, 9:38 am

Overall, I gotta say I was glad I was tagged out before Ohio's season started this year. I'm 10 miles south of the Ohio River, and after the first week, things went pretty dead in our part of the world.

Sorry to hear you had such trouble.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 22nd, 2012, 11:24 am

Real Bummer there, :(

So sorry to hear. As a frequent taster of said tag soup, it never get's any better. I just hope things at work settle down for next year. Ah, the familiar phrase, next year.

Take care and get geared up for fall, of course, after we all enjoy the summer.

TJ
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 22nd, 2012, 2:24 pm

Misery loves company. I'm in the same leaky boat. I usually have plans on inviting friends over to feast on wild turkey, well before the end of the season. That's just not happening this year and everyone seems shocked. I never want to get to the point where it seems that killing turkeys is automatic or isn't special. All I can say is they'd better look out next year because I'm going after them AND some new places to turkey hunt like a man possessed.

To add insult to injury I got a call from my turkey hunting buddy that he heard a gobbler a day after the season ended that was roosted right where I hunted on closing day. I also saw two longbeards on the land beside a farm I hunt as I was on my way to a job site this morning. At least there will be some grown birds around to hunt once I get over this jinx.

Better luck next to you spring turkey season. I look forward to celebrating success with you next year.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion