Preseason calling...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
silvestris

RE: Preseason calling...

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 12:16 pm

The only thing you should do before the season is listen.  If the turkeys are right, they will gobble.  That is what they do.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 12:23 pm

ORIGINAL: silvestris

The only thing you should do before the season is listen.  If the turkeys are right, they will gobble.  That is what they do.

Amen ol wise owl,when im on property that i hunt in the preseason i try to slip in get my info & get out so the birds never know i was ever in the vicinity

saxman

Postby saxman » February 4th, 2009, 3:54 pm

NO

sonofdsouth72

Postby sonofdsouth72 » February 5th, 2009, 5:50 am

nope leave all my calls at home . i like to practice at home to drive the wifey crazy .[8|]
there never is a off day of hunting !

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » February 5th, 2009, 6:52 am

I see no harm in giving an owl hoot once a week or so before season starts just to get an idea on where they may be.  I've done this and haven't spooked a bird yet.  However, I never start yelping or make any turkey sounds.  Only use a locater very sparingly and once I get the general area of where they may be resting their heads, I don't talk to them with any locators or anything until season starts.  Just try to slip and and out unnoticed if I want to pattern them more than that.  I hear owls every morning in my parts and often times don't even have to make a call to hear a gobble respond to something in nature.  Just get out there and listen real early and you should be able to get a feel for where they are bunking before season starts. Once the season starts if they don't respond to owl hoots, I'll throw more sharp locaters at them such as a crow or hawk.  That usually gets them to erupt if they become wise to an owl hoot, which rarely ever happens unless you go out there every morning and bellow away on your hooter.  Hope that helps!
"After eating an entire moose, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut."

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » February 7th, 2009, 5:40 am

I do not call to them before season. I just listen and let them do the talking.  I don't even use a locator call before season. 
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

deja vu

Postby deja vu » February 7th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I don`t .....and I remember reading this, not sure if it is the same anywhere else....

From the Kentucky hunting regulations website ...

A person hunting wild turkeys SHALL NOT:

• Call or attempt to call wild turkeys by mimicking the sounds made by a wild turkey from March 1 until the opening day of spring turkey season in any area open to turkey hunting if turkeys are reasonably expected to occur. Locator calls such as crow or owl calls are permitted.
"Old School Elitist"

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 7th, 2009, 2:53 pm

On land that I've hunted for years, I don't even go out there until the season starts. I hunt some private land and the landowner usually sees turkeys and can tell me if they are in one place or another. Otherwise, I just go out the first day and hunt.

On public ground, I just do the same. Of course I have no control of other folks who scout it or go out and use other types of calls. Just part of the hunt.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

StevePA

Postby StevePA » February 7th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Whats the difference between preseason calling and calling to the same bird(s) every day for a week or two trying to kill him?...nothing
turkeykiller

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 8th, 2009, 1:12 am

very ineresting STEVE.
well i've avoided this thread for some time. early on in my turkey hunting i would get out and use my calls to try and get a bird to give up his location before season. thought i was scouting. thought i was finding roost areas. when i did this i would always call LOUDLY. wanted the birds to be sure and hear me . my yelps , cutts and cackles would echo off the ridges. then i realized that most of the hunters using the same hunting area were also doing this same thing. i quit calling pre-season. most of the time they are gobbling hot on the limb before season anyhow , without any help from me or anyone else.
now last spring i broke my own rules and called in a flock of jakes about a month before season. just to watch them, and give my boys a little boost of adrenalin. ain't gonna apologize for it either. it ain't everyday you have around 30 jakes come up close for a look. some were 10 feet from us . but i didn't use loud calling and i only clucked.
you all can chastise me if you like that's ok. i said it before and will repeat it many more times i'm sure,,,,i'm still learning and trying to improve my talents as a turkey hunter. i've made more mistakes than most it seems and i'm willing to admit it.
on the other hand ,,,i can't stop someone else from pre-season calling on public land . so i say let them call,,,let them educate the birds with their loud calling. they most likely will be all fired up for the opener to be let down because those vocal preseason birds won't cooperate now . those are the ones that i want. those toms that have been worn out with calling. after a few days the majority of any given section of my public land won't see any hunters. this is where the WING is a killer call ,,,,,,,,,,,must use extreme caution.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion