Conclusion of my fifth year

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
eddie234

Conclusion of my fifth year

Postby eddie234 » May 19th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Well, this concludes my fifth spring turkey season. I think I've improved quite a bit over the last five years. This year I was in the woods for a total of ten days for 49 hours, I was able to call in nine male turkeys, some of which were groups of three jakes, and two hens. The hens were the only things that came into shooting range.
There are still some things I need to work on for next year and I know there will be some big birds in my turkey woods. Bring on spring 2013
Twitter: @edvogler

blacky

Re: Conclusion of my fifth year

Postby blacky » May 19th, 2012, 12:29 pm

Congratulations on a successful season.

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » May 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Man, I love turkey hunting!!
South Carolina Low Country

dewey

Postby dewey » May 19th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Well at least you were able to call in some birds and every moment in the woods is a learning experience. Good luck next year.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 20th, 2012, 7:31 am

Getting a turkey education is a journey. I feel bad for those guys who don't have to work hard for their birds, because they don't get the same amount of respect for how tough turkeys can be to kill at times. Keep after 'em.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » May 22nd, 2012, 5:52 pm

this was my 8th spring, and ive just started to learn the past 2 years cause i actually have/had a place to hunt turkeys now where there are some turkeys
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

spurgirl

Postby spurgirl » May 23rd, 2012, 9:21 pm

Turkey hunting sure is an ever changing experience isnt it? One year we think we have it down pact and the next year we are tested. Glad you got to see some birds. You definitely put your time in ... Wow!...Thats commitment.
How close did they come in?

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » May 24th, 2012, 7:31 pm

I had one of the hens at about 25 yards, the other one I had almost on my lap. Most of the males got to about 50 yards and just looked for the source of the calling. I did have three jakes within shooting range but I had set up on a gobbling bird that was in front of me, as soon as I gave my first series of calls the jakes came running up behind me. I didn't even have time to turn and set up on them. I was working a bird on the last day and ran out of time. I picked him up around 10am and thought he may come in but at noon he still hadn't but was gobbling his head off, I just ran out of time.
Twitter: @edvogler

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion