The end is near!

ticklishtompro

The end is near!

Postby ticklishtompro » May 18th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Unfortunately our WI season is just about over, but still have a few days left. I went out this morning having sat last night in the truck(as I had to do something else so couldn't get out hunting :x ) and watched 1 longbeard and 7 jakes head back towards a certain woods where I figured they would roost. There was only about a half hour of daylight left, so I figured I knew right where they were going to roost. They went over the hill and I could no longer see them from the road so I went home. I could only hunt for a short time before work this morning, but I figured it would only take a little while to have one layng on the ground, the longbeard was a really nice bird, they have been hanging in the section across the road from my place for the last 3 weeks, and I have been waiting till the end as a backup spot as no one else hunts there. So as I pulled in the driveway I was feeling a little cocky thinking, "Yep, he is going to meet his maker in the morning!" See you have to understand this property, the interstate runs along the west side of it so I knew the birds would fly down into the field on the east. The woods has real thick swampy patches on both the north and south ends! I knew where they had to come out and I would be there waiting!

Well as we all know roosted don't mean roasted, in fact they weren't roosted there at all. I figure after I left they came back over the hill and crossed the road to roost! So much for fresh smoked turkey! But hey, I have a couple days left to make it happen. The birds have been real talkative, the only thing that has stopped me is the time to get out in the woods. My brother is hunting up in zone 5 and they killed there first bird of the camp right away this morning. I am a little jealous as I had other commitments or I would have made the trip too. This weekend I will savor the last 2 days I might have in the woods till next spring, unless I can sneak out Monday or Tuesday after work, but it doesn't look good, so I am hoping to get it done this weekend. It has been a good spring with lots of action and memorable hunts. Also shot a coyote that chased my birds away last Sunday evening. The only ones happy about the end are my wife and kids. They say I get crabby when I get up so early for so many weeks in a row. I will miss going out next weekend, but I think it will be nice to sleep in for once. As it has been almost 10 weeks now with scouting and hunting.

Good luck to you all on filing that last tag till next spring, although there is fall hunting and bowhunting!!

Randy
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

charlie elk

Re: The end is near!

Postby charlie elk » May 18th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Just hate when it ends, fishing is overrated so I focus back on Vic the turkey dog to get him more polished for his second year. But that will have to wait until Wednesday, there are still turkeys out there even though they have been suffering lock beak for the last 4 days.
I have called in some silent toms but they picked me out before I was aware they were looking. You'd think after all these years of hunting I would quit making that mistake.
Heading out on the river this weekend to get all those odd stares from bikini clad gals sunning on the decks of those big boats. I've never been sure what they think as they stare at my hunched over camo clad form in a tiny jon boat heading for the mosquito infested backwaters.
Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

kygobbler

Postby kygobbler » May 18th, 2012, 8:48 pm

charlie elk wrote:I've never been sure what they think as they stare at my hunched over camo clad form in a tiny jon boat heading for the mosquito infested backwaters.

They are probably thinking, "great here comes that perv again that hides in the bushes and stares at us all day." :lol: :lol:

Sorry Charlie, I couldnt resist on that one. :lol: :lol:

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 18th, 2012, 9:44 pm

kygobbler wrote:They are probably thinking, "great here comes that perv again that hides in the bushes and stares at us all day." :lol: :lol:

Sorry Charlie, I couldnt resist on that one. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin