Mid Season Check-in

JeffCrez

Mid Season Check-in

Postby JeffCrez » May 15th, 2012, 10:16 am

Hey Grizz & NY guys, Well it's been a weird season with the way early spring and damp cloudy
weather that been prevalent this May. Just wondering how you guys are doing. I was lucky enough to
take a nice Tom in eastern Otsego Co. on May 2nd. In fact, my biggest ever. 22lbs, 8"brd, and 1 3/8"
spurs. I have not heard a gobble here in Dutchess Co. which leaves me thinking that the breeding season
is way ahead this yr. I'm heading back up to Otsego this weekend for a three day hunt. It will be interesting
to see what stage the birds are in further north & west. Good luck to you guys and remember that your
luck can change in a second! JeffCrez.
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

Mossberg835

Re: Mid Season Check-in

Postby Mossberg835 » May 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm

whats up bro. i hear ya about the gobbling, little weird this year, went out with my best bud nate and we only heard maybe 2 gobbles and we hunted till 11, but i guess thats why its called hunting and not shooting. good luck on your 3 day hunt :D :D :D :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

grizzly

Postby grizzly » May 15th, 2012, 1:11 pm

i have to say this has been a strange season so far first week out i got luke warm responances .this last sunday went out early and heard no gobbleing at all along about 8:00 a tom entered the feild i was setting above then in a few minutes another tom with a jake in tow came from a different way they were scratching on a fresh plowed feild i gave out a call and they so no interest what so ever after a few more calls the jake faned and struted a little but lost interest after a bit. a half hour later some hens came in but no action and they left the feild after about an hour . buddies i have talk to say they're haveing a tough go of it as well and what birds are being shot are mostly jakes. but i'll keep trying till it's over. good luck to all....wayne

retranger

Postby retranger » May 16th, 2012, 7:52 am

Glad to see there are still a couple fellows in NY I thought everyone had moved out. Jeff thats a damn nice bird!!! I hear you Wayne and mossberg it is the same up here. I have not heard or seen anything of a turkey all spring. Only know of one youngster and he tagged out. Got one during youth and one during regular season. Been a funny year for sure and seems to be that way with the rest of the fellows on here. The past few years all have been different, at least up in this part of the state. I had checked back in my diaries and in 2010 I put my gear away as I could not find a turkey anywhere, very similar to this year. Good to get out in the woods any way,,,,good excerise.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » May 16th, 2012, 9:34 am

Mossberg835, sorry meant to congratulate you on that 1st bird. Grizz, your last sentence "I'll keep trying
till the end" tells me that you understand what it takes to be successfull in this game. Retranger, don't worry
there's plenty of us NY boys still beating the bushes and a lucky bunch we are with the wealth of great turkey
hunting we have in NY. Good luck and enjoy the rest of the season. I know I will. well, time to pack up for my trip upstate.....JeffCrez.
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

retranger

Postby retranger » May 19th, 2012, 8:19 am

Went out again yesterday morning,,,,,not a thing :mrgreen: I have not seen, heard anything of any birds this spring. :oops: The places I hunt is private land and have taken birds off them for years,, this year there is not a bird around. When I scouted earlier I didn't see any birds but that didn't bother me as it has happened before and the birds are always there for the season. Have not seen any sign of a bird. I think my season is over, have seen nothing to draw me to the turkey woods. Most of the fellows I know are in the same boat, only know of a couple birds being taken. Will get after the chores around the house now.
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Return to New York