Techniques

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
trkynut54

Techniques

Postby trkynut54 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:04 pm

Say you have a gobbler answering every call you throw at him but he doesn't budge an inch. What do you do?
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

wisturkeyhunter

RE: Techniques

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 3rd, 2009, 4:09 pm

Depends. If you can I'd move and set up closer thats what I'd do. I would go directly towards him I'd circle around or go at an angle to get closer. 

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 3rd, 2009, 4:18 pm

A stratagy that sometimes works in this situation is too get the bird tore up by cutting,aggresive yelping or what have you. Then completely shut up on him not a peep sometimes his curiosity gets the better of him and he'll come take a look.Curiosity kills more than cats.P.S. he will usually sneek in or possibly come in clucking either way be ready.
canecreekcalls.com

trkynut54

Postby trkynut54 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:32 pm

ORIGINAL: thundrchikin

A stratagy that sometimes works in this situation is too get the bird tore up by cutting,aggresive yelping or what have you. Then completely shut up on him not a peep sometimes his curiosity gets the better of him and he'll come take a look.Curiosity kills more than cats.P.S. he will usually sneek in or possibly come in clucking either way be ready.

I have killed a few with this tactic, sometimes they come in within 20 minutes other times within an hour or so
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 3rd, 2009, 4:47 pm

all of the above

jpb

Postby jpb » February 3rd, 2009, 5:58 pm

Playing "hard to get" helped get my first bird last year.I called as nasty as I could and even mumbled a few insults just for good measure then shut up.Took what felt like a life time and a half but ole tom took a ride in the Jeep that day.
Joe

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » February 3rd, 2009, 6:18 pm

Too many variables to answer the question: How much time ya got, how many properties do you have to hunt, public private, how late in the season, how big is the piece of property, terrain etc etc etc

Each of these encounters is like a chess match and each individual circumstance calls for a different set of actions.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 10:24 am

I would try to asses why he won't commit! Is he hung up by a natural barrier? Does he have hens with him? Might be a sub bird afraid of getting his but whooped by the local boss bird? Need to know WHY he won't come before you can make a plan.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 12:24 pm

If the turkey has answered you and seems to be refusing to come, nothing is frequently the best call you can make.  Contemplate this: once the encounter has begun by you making a call to the gobbler, "not calling is calling".  Not calling is a conscious decision on your part that often results in success.  Make him worry.  The one thing that you can be assured of when you cease calling is that you will not be doing anything that will make him harder to kill in a subsequent encounter.  He just may not want to come today for whatever reason and unless you are on the last day of the season or the last day of a several day hunt, there is always tomorrow.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 4th, 2009, 12:27 pm

at times ,stop calling , and wait him out.   last season i made him think there were several birds on top of the hill .  sometimes fall into very faint purring and throw out a jake goblble,,,,don't laugh , i spelled it like it sounds .           they ain't nothin' we can do with some,,,except listen .

Next

Return to Strategies