Smack Down!

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
allen.riggs

Smack Down!

Postby allen.riggs » May 14th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Went out this evening and sat by the old stump where i have seen a lot of turkeys walking by. The sun was getting a little low when three hens came in. I waited, motionless, for a few minutes. Pretty soon, two Jakes showed up. I didn't want a Jake, although I was going to take one if a Tom didn't show up. The minutes seemed like hours, no Tom. Finally, I took the largest Jake. His beard is about an inch and a half long, but his body size is decent. I shot him from 30 yards with my SX3 using HeviShot's Hevi 13 #6. He hit the dirt and didn't even try getting up. I'll put him in the oven tomorrow and cook him up.MMMM....One more day till the spring season ends. Maybe i'll get that Tom tomorrow.

bamabirdbuster13

Re: Smack Down!

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 15th, 2012, 9:14 am

congrats them jakes eat too
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

dewey

Postby dewey » May 15th, 2012, 9:52 am

Congratulations on the Jake Allen and welcome to the T&TH forum. Like bama said jakes are good for eating. Where are you from and where do you hunt at? How many tags do you have left?

Dewey
Last edited by dewey on May 15th, 2012, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

maineute

Postby maineute » May 15th, 2012, 10:31 am

Congratulations, don't over cook him, 160 on the meat thermometer.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 19th, 2012, 7:16 am

Amen on the Jakes bein' good groceries. :D I prefer my bird fried in nugget fashion. If you're interested in a good recipe, you can respond here or pm me
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion