Recommended Call Maker ?

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
148forest

Recommended Call Maker ?

Postby 148forest » May 14th, 2012, 11:03 am

Hi guyz, I am new on this site and am looking for some advice. I need a call maker that can build a box call that I can use for locating. It has to reach out to mountain tops.We do a lot of run and gun after our morning hunt.I need a raspy call that can get out there !!! any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :?:

Cut N Run

Re: Recommended Call Maker ?

Postby Cut N Run » May 14th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Welcome to the forum. There's probably not a louder or better call to make distant gobblers holler back than a boat paddle or long box call. I have a couple that work great. I use a Quaker Boy field grade Boat Paddle most of the time. It is high pitched and can pull from a long ways. I also have a Beard Hunter long box, custom made by Russell Beard. The Field Grade Boat Paddles are no longer made, but you can sometimes find them at online auction sites for too much money. Russell Beard sell his long boxes for $100 (or more depending how exotic a wood type you want) off his website. Both calls have a lot of turkey in 'em and can reach out to grab turkeys by the ears. Hope this helps.

Good luck. Don't forget to show off your pictures here after a successful hunt.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

retranger

Postby retranger » May 15th, 2012, 7:16 am

Welcome Forrest. My first call I bought was Quaker Boy "Grand Ole Master" and use it for years, then they quit making them but brought it back this year. Available most anywhere. That box is what I use to locate then use the premo freak in the frictionite to finish. Good Luck :D
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

148forest

Postby 148forest » May 18th, 2012, 8:52 am

thanks guyz. i had a quaker boy -grand o`le master but lost it this year.i didn`t know they started making it again. :D

Chief Many Longbeards

Postby Chief Many Longbeards » May 18th, 2012, 9:12 am

hey, forest ...
ever try a tube call? they work great for locating. they spark a lot of gobbles for me because of their unique sound and the fact that hardly any other hunters use them.
not saying boxes wont do the same thing. i called in a nice tom this year from a long distance on a very windy day using a woodhaven real hen walnut box call.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 19th, 2012, 7:23 am

A Hustlin' Hen by Billy White out of Abbeville AL will bring 'em runnin' with their pants down around there ankles! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

148forest

Postby 148forest » May 21st, 2012, 8:03 am

that sounds to me.as long as 2 birds don`t come in at the same time,it`s all good. lol

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion