spur shape

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
bamabirdbuster13

spur shape

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 14th, 2012, 10:06 pm

i was looking at the spurs of some of the birds we had shot this year when i noticed that i could tell where the birds were shot by the shape of the spurs.on one side of the road behind my house all the birds have big blunt spurs. while across the street the birds have skinny sharp spurs, and across town there all short and sharp. i thought it was kinda cool. anyone else notice this with their birds.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

retranger

Re: spur shape

Postby retranger » May 15th, 2012, 7:42 pm

I always used the spurs for ageing turkeys:
AGING TURKEYS

0” TO 1/2” One year
1/2” to 7/8” Two years

7/8” to 1” 3 years

1” and above 4 years
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 19th, 2012, 3:14 am

Ive noticed the same thing over the years.. All the really long spurs we kill 1.5+ tend to be small in diameter.. The fatter spurs we shoot tend to peter out at 1 1/4 inch..

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 19th, 2012, 7:19 am

Anyone got some cool ideas for using the spurs after they've been detached from the legs. I'm tryin' to think of what to do with a bunch I've saved.
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

retranger

Postby retranger » May 19th, 2012, 7:38 am

Onpoint go to "custom beard and tail fan displays" in general discussions and I have a couple pics of what I do with my spurs ;)
What works for me may not work for you and what works today may not work tomorrow
Doug <- <- ~<- <- <- ~ <-

Struttinhusker

Postby Struttinhusker » May 19th, 2012, 10:49 am

Two of the three I got this year had a narrower sharp hooked spur a little longer than an inch on one foot and a fatter, blunter slightly shorter spur on the other. Is there a particular reason for this?

onpoint

Postby onpoint » May 19th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Thanks. Will do
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion