Preseason calling...

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
trkynut54

Preseason calling...

Postby trkynut54 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:01 pm

I was just wondering if anyone in here calls to gobblers with yelps etc. before the season just to fire them up or to locate them. I myself do not do this in fear of educating them before the season starts. 
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

wordbird

RE: Preseason calling...

Postby wordbird » February 3rd, 2009, 4:15 pm

Not a good idea. I have called to them just to get them to sound off but you don't want to call them up. More than likely you'll wind up spooking them and making them that much harder to call up again.
"The only absolute in turkey hunting is that there are no absolutes."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 3rd, 2009, 4:17 pm

i am fortunate to have a state park in the outskirts of town with a substantial amount of turkeys,i drive thru all the time just to make 'em strut.there is also a farm down the road with a big tom claimin the lot that i make gobble 'bout everytime i drive by in the spring as far as any place that i might hunt NO

thundrchikin

Postby thundrchikin » February 3rd, 2009, 4:21 pm

Right on wordbird
canecreekcalls.com

OsceWood

Postby OsceWood » February 3rd, 2009, 4:22 pm

No....

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 4th, 2009, 4:01 am

In my opinion wouldn't call to the birds you plan to hunt, I for one don't even try to shock gobble the turkeys I plan on hunting. Some biologist say that a turkey only has so many gobbles in him I don't know about all of that I am not sure that a turkey gets educated to calling but I do think he will get educated to your calling. Preseason I just try and slip in the area I am scouting and let the birds do there own thing and slip back out.

silvestris

Postby silvestris » February 4th, 2009, 5:24 am

I had never heard that about a gobbler only having so many gobbles in him.  But since a biologist said it, it must be true.

I do believe the theory that a heart only has so many beats to it.  That is why I don't exercise.
Why be good when you can B-Mobile or Spin & Strut.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 4th, 2009, 5:36 am

i've heard the one about the tom having a certain amount of gobbles but not the one about the heart

greyghost

Postby greyghost » February 4th, 2009, 7:25 am

No.

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » February 4th, 2009, 10:16 am

NO!!! I can understand guys wanting to fire up some gobbles before season begins but what some of us forget is that it educates the birds. Last year there were birds EVERYWHERE and they were very vocal! WERE! Everyone and their brother seemed to get out there and fire the birds up almost on a daily basis. Not with locator calls mind you but with yelps and cutts.I knew it was going to be tough first day to get a bird to gobble. And I was right. They were educated. You figure. A Tom hears you call. Goes to investigate and there is nothing there! After getting "fooled" so many times he just ignores the calls. All last year any hunters I would run into saying " I can't understand it?, The birds won't make a peep!" I would respond by telling them they for two weeks before season everyone was out in the woods calling to them and educated the birds. I always knew from the looks on their faces who was one of the people who was doing just that cause they would look like WHOOPS! If you want to hear a bird to get a location use a locator call. LOL! Them birds are smart enough as it is we don't need to give them any more lessons!

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion