where are the toms

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
blowe001

where are the toms

Postby blowe001 » May 13th, 2012, 8:10 pm

this is my first year turkey hunting i just shot my first jake today but thaqts all i ever see where i hunt there is a group of 7 jakes (6 now) but i never see a tom do you think there is one around with this many jakes if so how do i find him

ticklishtompro

Re: where are the toms

Postby ticklishtompro » May 13th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Chances are if there are hens around their are toms. Did you hear much gobbing? Jakes will gobble but you can usually tell because it isn't a very good sounding gobble. Also how big is the property you hunt on? Does it have good food, and roosting trees? There are so many factors that we don't know about the property. If it is a small parcel, it could be the toms chased the jakes out of a different property and on to yours.

What state are you hunting in? Seeing toms is a whole nother thing. You need to know where the hens are feeding, and that is where you will find them. Good luck, welcome to the forum, and congrats on your first bird! A jake is a fine accomplishment for your first year!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

TurkeyJohn

Postby TurkeyJohn » May 14th, 2012, 10:55 am

Say a prayer for getting that jake. I was 5 years of turkey hunting before I harvested my first bird. Any kind of legal bird in your first season is sweet. WOuld agree that if you can find the feed or the hens, you'll find the toms. Jakes tend to roam around trying to fit in where they can. Just like a gang of teens. :D No real rhyme or reason, just trying to get in to trouble where they can.

TJ
Hobby.....Is there anything other than turkey hunting??

hootowl

Postby hootowl » April 16th, 2013, 9:07 am

blowe001
Congrats on your 1st Bird, I also shot a Jake my 1st Turkey Hunt, although the Last 2 years has been alot different a Big 0. Oh I have Toms around, Just alittle Bit out of Range, I passed on a Few Jakes 2, I wish I would of started Turkey Hunting long a Go, you see I am 54 years old, and Like I said this will be My 4th Season, And I am ate up with the sport, On I have always Hunted Just always Hunted Deer, with my Bow, Shotgun, Muzzy. I just never got into the Turkey Hunting, But 1 day a friend took me as we just scouted a woods and Had Toms Gobbling there heads off, And I had to have more, So that season I started to read and Read and Watch Video's and I went Opening day and Like I said I took a Jake. Oh Shit sorry to ramble I just Love Hunting Turkey's. Again Congrats.

Hootowl

Return to Strategies