Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
turkey junky

Re: Coyotes coming in to turkey calls

Postby turkey junky » May 11th, 2012, 11:17 pm

all the pro biologist will say that it wont make a difference & that if you kill 1 coyote another will move in & take its place same for coons but i say it wont hurt anything to remove preditors that are over populated in a give n area!!! kill a coyote save a turkey is my saying!!! i only wish we could control hawk populations as them hawks love the taste of my bantum chickens!!! i have shot to scare more hawks away from my property then id like to admit!!!

we have permission to hunt turkey in a urban area & last season everyday of my buddys hunt a coyote or 2 would stroll out & bugger the turkeys & after 2-3 wks of watch n this while scout n the area we figured the birds were used to the yotes... so when we returned in 2 wks to hunt the archery season there was no turkeys in the field & we didnt bag/see a tom turkey that season??? skip to march of this yr the guy who lives next door shot 2 coyotes from his back yard & now this season the turkeys are back live n & breeding in that field that was void of turkey last season after a family of coyotes moved in they are seen every day & 2 turkeys have been taken out of the flock & there is still 5 long beards & 2-3 jakes use n the field all i can say is shooting them coyotes was the best thing that happened to that property!
we did see 1 coyote while out hunting but it was leery of staying out in the open near the homes like they should be!!!

KILL A COYOTE SAVE A TURKEY id say take n a coyote with a muzzle loader would be quit a feat & a worthy task... I REALLY DOUBT ANY BODY WOULD BE OUT LOOKING FOR FOLKS THAT HAPPEN TO KILL A COYOTE WHILE OUT TURKEY HUNTING JUST LEAVE IT LAY & SAVE A TURKEYs life for next season the other public land hunters would thank you for killing a coyote on public land...

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 12th, 2012, 12:55 am

yea i thought about running a trap line/coyote hunting. theres a pile of coyotes in this area. as well as the racoons. i want to plant a chufa plot for my turkeys and they might need a little pressure taken off them.
Imma give him a headache B.C cant fix

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » May 13th, 2012, 6:35 am

I once had a coyote come in and attack my jake decoy. Must have thought it was a road runner -- "beep-beep!"

That coyote met his maker right after his head met a load of Acme shotgun pellets.

Steve.
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

BluMtnGobbler

Postby BluMtnGobbler » May 13th, 2012, 10:12 am

Just yesterday morning herein PA, I had a coyote come in undetected to my set up. I looked to my left there he was standing looking at me. I tried to swing the gunover and he took off. I ranged the spot he was standing, 19 yards. No birds.
Brian

eddie234

Postby eddie234 » May 13th, 2012, 12:17 pm

I had one last year come in and roll my jake mobile. I've got the whole story posted on here somewhere.
Twitter: @edvogler

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 13th, 2012, 2:16 pm

my dad and a group of friends were hunting in west virgina and my dads friend was sitting in the middle of some bushes and had a bobcat slap him on the face a few times and sprint away.

bamabirdbuster13

Postby bamabirdbuster13 » May 13th, 2012, 2:16 pm

my dad and a group of friends were hunting in west virgina and my dads friend was sitting in the middle of some bushes and had a bobcat slap him on the face a few times and sprint away.

shaman

Postby shaman » May 14th, 2012, 5:28 am

I had Angus out the last weekend of season. He nailed a 'yote at 30 yards that was coming into our calls. He got two shots into it, but it managed to crawl off into the woods and we could not find it. There are still several on the property. I'm going to get the coyote caller out in f few weeks and try to call one in.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
ImageImage

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » May 14th, 2012, 10:29 am

I hunt with a muzzleloader and I don't like to shoot at anything except what I am hunting. On the state F&W areas they are out of season anyway. The best predator control I have heard of was an outbreak of Parvo :D down south. We hunted Patoka Lake one year and yotes were everywhere. we would see them when we headed out, when we returned and heard them all night. There was a Parvo outbreak and the next spring we did not see or hear any.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

maineute

Postby maineute » May 14th, 2012, 10:54 am

I buy a night hunting liscense so that when I am sitting there in the pitch black waiting for birds to wake up I can shoot a roaming coyote. It happened last year, a bird was gobbling 50-60 yards off to my left and yote came across the field headed straight for his roost. I loaded him up at 25-30 yards, ruined my day of hunting but hopefully it made it better for the future.
You can shoot coyotes year round in maine but there is a season for night hunting. I am wondering if the coyotes are the reason why I haven't been seeing a lot of birds this year, no toms at all yet.

PreviousNext

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion