Spring 2012

BluMtnGobbler

Re: Spring 2012

Postby BluMtnGobbler » April 27th, 2012, 7:57 pm

Good Luck to all the PA guys tommorrow. Its about time was going nuts!
Brian

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » April 30th, 2012, 12:19 pm

Very slow first two days.

Opening morning did not feature a single turkey or turkey call. In fact, had there not been a single shot down the valley; you would never know it was the opener.

Today was a step up. Had a hen come off the roost and pass 60 yards from me (never did see hear but found fresh tracks) and I bumped another hen while walking. However yet again, not a single gobble.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » May 1st, 2012, 8:16 pm

It's been tough on this end too three days of mostly silent woods. I worked a bird the first day and it was shot at on the way in. Keep the faith!

Jon
Turkeybuster

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 4th, 2012, 9:38 am

Thoroughly depressing morning.

Struck up a hot bird at 6. A whole hour this bird was going non stop, drifting back and forth at 150-175 yards to my calls every 15 mins or so. At 7 he went silent. I waited about 20 mins and starting some soft yelping and he gobbled again and I could tell he was on the move down the ridge away from me.

I let him go another 15 mins and started a series of cutting and he thundered now to me left, inside 100 yards. I went silent and he started going crazy. 75 yds, 50 yrds and at 35ish yds he popped out onto the trail.

Lined him up and let the 20 guage scream. Bird did a barrel roll and I did a fist pump. Then to my shock and dis-spare the bird got up, to 3-4 strides and took off.

WTF

So now I sit here, looking at 12 guage ultra mags because if that happens again, the 20 guage would be wrapped around a tree.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 7th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Went out today and had a fairly productive day.

Heard a previous unheard bird as I hiked in.
Heard a previous unheard bird way back in.
Bumped a bird where I took a shot at that one Friday. So it sounds like he survived! Even better he and friends are hanging around!

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 8th, 2012, 10:11 am

Very quiet today with the cooler temps and rain.

Had a hen fly off the roost and land 10 yards from me.

Nothing moving after that.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 10th, 2012, 12:16 pm

This thread sure is quiet.

Been hearing some gobbling....some pretty close....and the birds end up just going the other direction. Very frustrating.

DaveYak

Postby DaveYak » May 11th, 2012, 8:03 am

No gobbling in the northeast part of the state, not even from the roost. Hens are now running around alone looking for a nesting site I'm guessing. This has been my worst spring gobbler season I can remember as far as gobbling and working birds. Everything I was reading told me that turkey breading cycles are determined by the sun light not the temps, I don't think I believe that anymore after seeing what I did this spring! I don't really have a spot to ambush a long beard so looks like my spring 2012 gobbler season is over!

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 11th, 2012, 10:51 am

DaveYak wrote:No gobbling in the northeast part of the state, not even from the roost. Hens are now running around alone looking for a nesting site I'm guessing. This has been my worst spring gobbler season I can remember as far as gobbling and working birds. Everything I was reading told me that turkey breading cycles are determined by the sun light not the temps, I don't think I believe that anymore after seeing what I did this spring! I don't really have a spot to ambush a long beard so looks like my spring 2012 gobbler season is over!

This is starting to sound a whole lot like last year.

A real early warm spell in March/April followed by a cool spell in April/May.

The birds down this way would talk because its warmer in the mornings and up state they wouldn't hear jack being its was so cold. Then the second warm surge came late May/June and the birds upstate fired up.

Sounds a bit discouraging as I'm about to head up to Potter for the annual camp hunt. Hoping that the new all day hours will provide some hunting action as it warms up in the afternoon.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 17th, 2012, 9:11 am

Hunted Potter County this week.

Had success yesterday after a 4 hr long Ironman match with two toms. The birds finally came out of the hole they were in and circled up and around a bunch of downed trees and came in silently from behind.

They were inside of 10 yards before I gave myself away by turning my head to see what the rustling was behind me. I was able to blast the nearest bird as they started to run.

Jake with 4 3/4 beard and 18 lbs. I'll take it after a morning of 50-75 gobbles and a grudge match that left me with two dead legs from sitting still so long.

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania