Calling turkeys down a hill

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Mossberg835

Calling turkeys down a hill

Postby Mossberg835 » May 8th, 2012, 9:49 pm

I have heard that calling turkeys down hills is difficult to do. I found that out this year. At the spot where i hunt, the turkeys roost up the hill. They will gobble at anything and everything. I found out that some purring and scratching the leaves is what it took to get those turkeys to come off the hill. Anybody else ever use this tactic to get toms to come off of a hill to you??
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

ticklishtompro

Re: Calling turkeys down a hill

Postby ticklishtompro » May 9th, 2012, 9:43 pm

I use it all the time, ecspecially to bring them in that last little bit, regardless if it is down, up, or across a hill. I have not had the hang up on a hilltop necessarily except for if it a really steep hill or they hang up on the ridge just before the one I am on, and strur back and forth. The purr alone has sealed the deal for me more times than anything else as it seems to put them over the edge to come in for a look. The leave scratching just adds a little more realism to the set up, cause that is what content hens are usually doing in the woods.
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

Mossberg835

Re: Calling turkeys down a hill

Postby Mossberg835 » May 10th, 2012, 12:02 pm

That's why we use it so much, they just cant seem to hold themselves together when you start purring, gets em almost every time. :D :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Strategies