Diaphram Help

Share information about your calls and calling methods!
hckyplayer8

Diaphram Help

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 8th, 2012, 2:59 pm

The roof of my mouth is abnormally narrow (suppose to wear an expander...oh well) and mouth calls have been impossible for me to pick up as I can't seal the air off.

I figured out that I can produce noises by bending the metal frame of the call so it will form to the roof of my mouth. The problem then becomes, the latex gets stretched out.

I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for my issue.

ylpnfol

Re: Diaphram Help

Postby ylpnfol » May 8th, 2012, 4:02 pm

i know that some of the "name " brands make smaller frame [youth ?? ]models, they may work, have you tried trimming the tape, i trim the tape on all my calls, if you try it, just don't go too small, or it won't seal to the top of your mouth right, just start off taking a little at a time evenlyaround the call, i guess mine end up w/maybe 3/16 tape around the frame.....hope this might help you and good luck

every gun makes its own tune.....

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 8th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Yeah I have and if anything it made the problem worse because of more air escaping.

I'll have to check out the youth models. Thanks!

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » May 8th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Small frame/youth frame made all the difference in the world to me.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 10th, 2012, 3:12 pm

Have you tried diaphragm calls with a smaller frame & wider tape, like the ones Preston Pittman makes? Check out his small frame models PP224, PP226, & PP228. I'm not sure if more tape might help you,though it might give a better seal. Search for Pittman game calls to find his site.

I've used a few of his full size diaphragm calls and they've got a lot of turkey in 'em. I killed two of my three biggest gobblers using his calls.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 10th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I picked up one of the Primo's mini sonic domes.

I would say it feels a whole lot better,but I'm not sure my sounds have improved any. Still sounding like a goose, rather than a yelp.

hckyplayer8

Postby hckyplayer8 » May 10th, 2012, 7:38 pm

http://youtu.be/W6G9cP5CDog

Here is me yelping. I have been stuck at this goose sound phase for the past year now.

Any pointers?

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » May 13th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Mouth call proficiency is often just a function of learning the basics, practicing enough to master the art of air-flow control, and then determining which call type works best for the individual. Once an individual learns to make the basic sounds,...i.e., like you have shown with your sound bite,...the process is then a matter of practicing and refining those sounds. That sound refinement will always include using a wide assortment of call types to find out which ones you will be the best with.

There are almost limitless factors associated with the call user and the call type. The shape of the mouth is only one of many associated with the user. Others are the positioning of the call along the palate, tongue dexterity, and ability to control air flow. The factors in the call itself which will control sound are the number of latex (reed) layers, thickness of the layers, reed spacing, reed stretch, and the cuts in the reed(s).

The fact is that there are so many variables for each individual caller that it is virtually impossible for one mouth call user to tell another that "this is the call for you". It is true that certain call types make certain turkey sounds, on the average, better than other types. But the fact remains that each of us must go through a learning process to find out what works best for us as individuals.

I think the real problem with most beginning mouth call users is that they get frustrated and give up before they have spent enough time to find out that they can really learn how to use a mouth call,...with enough dedication and practice. The keys are 1) don't give up, 2) practice as much as you can, 3) get an assortment of call types to use to find out what works best for you.

onpoint

Postby onpoint » June 17th, 2012, 7:35 am

The fact is that there are so many variables for each individual caller that it is virtually impossible for one mouth call user to tell another that "this is the call for you". It is true that certain call types make certain turkey sounds, on the average, better than other types. But the fact remains that each of us must go through a learning process to find out what works best for us as individuals.

That 'bout sums it up! Good explanation Gobman!!!
"Chasin' gobblers has a lot in common with dealing with a wife, 'bout the time ya' think ya' got 'em figured out, they change the rules!!!"

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » June 20th, 2012, 10:15 pm

go with what all the guys are saying on here. i have some friends that had the same problem and tried the smaller calls and that helped them a ton. it took me a while to even get a sound to come out so dont get discouraged man, good luck :D
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Calling