thawin' out

Your place to talk about anything and everything hunting-related!
mark hay

thawin' out

Postby mark hay » February 1st, 2009, 2:36 am

thank the Lord for the warmer air . the ice is dropping from everything this morning . hopefully the birds will fill up . the seedy weeds will most likely be the first target since there is still several inches of snow and ice on the ground , making mast and field crops nearly impossible to get to for the turkeys.

trkynut54

RE: thawin' out

Postby trkynut54 » February 1st, 2009, 3:56 am

That's good to hear. We are expecting a big snow storm next week. I can't wait for spring.
Don't hunt harder hunt smarter

allaboutshooting

Postby allaboutshooting » February 1st, 2009, 5:31 am

It's warming up a bit here today too but there is so much ice and snow, it will take a long time to see it go away. We had 4"-5" or ice pellets, then freezing rain and lastly, 9" of snow on top of all that. It's been so cold not much has left.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means that he has another day and so do you."

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » February 1st, 2009, 5:36 am

well its 48 degrees here today,i went out for a bit this morning just walkin around & heard 2 GOBBLES!! & a few distant yelps,,every thing was alive & movin,sure do like livin in the south[:D][:D] 

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 1st, 2009, 5:38 pm

[:-]

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 1st, 2009, 5:44 pm

Got mid 30's yesterday and today I thought about going pike fishing at the dam figuring they'd be biting but I didn't make it out. Maybe tomorrow if its warm again.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 2nd, 2009, 2:44 am

adam are walley in season ??? there better eating...although pike fight better

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » February 2nd, 2009, 3:01 am

Pike and Walleye never close in the river I fish here. Pike are every bit as tasty as any other fish in Wisconsin. They are a colder water fish than than walleyes and are very active in the winter especially in the rivers when they first start warming. To catch walleyes right now you need to fish extremely slow not my type of fishing.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » February 2nd, 2009, 3:15 am

The temp reached 38 in Michigan on Sunday, first time above freezing in over a month.

For those that don't mind winter, I caught my limit of bluegills through the ice three times last week.
[;)]
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » February 2nd, 2009, 4:30 am

i love pike i think they get a bad rep as table fare because of the Y bones but if you know how to clean them they are great eating ....walley is as good and easier to clean .....they dont fight as good to me they feel like a snag...with alot of head thumping.....as soon as the weather gets better ill go steel head fishing...talk about a fight....they s*#k for eating .....but i can trade em for chinesse food ...they love em and i like general tao chicken and sweet and sour shrimp.....dont foreget the flyied lice....[:D]

Next

Return to Talkin' Turkey • General discussion