Toms are responding!!!

ticklishtompro

Re: Toms are responding!!!

Postby ticklishtompro » May 6th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Sounds like some great action and some good time with your dad. The toms were definetely very vocal this morning here to, then the storms rolled in. Yesterday they were very quiet here. I think this next week will be some great action!
Ticklish Tom Custom Calls Prostaff
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff
Hips Archery Targets Prostaff
Dixieland Outdoors Prostaff

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 7th, 2012, 12:45 am

got my 1st ever cheese head turkey on thursday out of unit 1 public land drove all over & seen birds every wear he was a vocal 2 yr old fat boy 22-23 pound 11 inch beard 3/4 inch spurs ginger colored eastern turkey un-like our deep dark red/purple color turkeys in SE MN i like the land but the morel mushroom hunters were out in full force & had the birds quit for most of the time 1 nite i roosted 2-3 birds & killed 1 after a rain storm the next morning after set n up in between to gobbleing birds the farther bird ran in to his death had a longer walk out then i had hunt it was my 1st set up in the state of WI so im headed back to make sure it wasnt just a accident!!! lol i had to study the map hard & pick a good spot & i was productive!!!

sounds like i need to pick up & head over to unit 2 a boys??? is there enuff public land for a MN boy to take his dad with medical issues over & get in on this outstanding WI hunting you all are speaking of??? how was the the other hunter pressure out there gopher??? u mite of lucked out as fishing opener was saturday in WI???

i grew up hunting turkeys & trout fishing during our MN hunts it was the best thing since pants with pockets if you asked me after my 1st turkey season at age 13-14 i was hooked even B4 that but after that there was no return!!! i was thereafter a TURKEY HUNTER 1st & everything else hunter 2nd!!!

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 7th, 2012, 5:43 am

In our part of unit 2 there is lots of public land in the Kettle Moraine state forest but that is a lot of big woods hunting with lots of walking covering a lot of ground. There are lots of birds there. I hunt further east where items is more smaller tracts with more agriculture mostly private land . But farmers around are pretty easy to get permission from cause they don't like the Turkey's cause there are too many. But there is also a lot of pressure as the hunter ratio is high in unit 2
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 7th, 2012, 7:49 am

What I would recommend is unit 3 Adams county lots of public land, lots of birds, and lots of tags, few hunters. We used to go there every year and took lots of birds in the last 2 seasons. We now usually go up to unit 5 just because my brother has a place there.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

Gopherlongbeards

Postby Gopherlongbeards » May 7th, 2012, 8:59 am

I was in far eastern unit 1 last weekend TJ, maybe fishing opener had something to do with it, but we did not see another hunter all weekend.

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 8th, 2012, 1:03 pm

thanks for the info guys looks like i will have to wait till next yr to try these tracts of land??? as me & my father went back for the last 2 days of our season to fill my dads tag & we ended up having a flash hunt running into a nice pair of 2 yr olds from our van while my dad took a bathroom break!!! lol & with only 1 tag between us only 1 bird left the scene of the hunt 45 min from the time of the 1st gobble!!! got to love 2 yr old gobblers!!!

tickleishtompro thanks for the info i will most likely skip that big woods forest as i hate to hunt in the big woods im a field edge crop land small pockets & hills & creeks with trees type of hunter i find it to hard to locate & move on birds in the big woods with out repeatedly busting un-seen/un-heard birds as i try & get on the bird im hearing off in the distance... lol & with a high hunter to turkey ratio i will really have to skip that area i dont like to hunt around other hunters if i can help it witch i can do as i can always just drive else wear!!!

i will look into the unit 3 county u mentioned & its public land offered... i really like to hunt wear bird numbers are high & if possible i will like to hunt in & around public lands wear there are many tracts or separate tracts of public land all in close proximity to 1 another as they all can not get beat down by turkey,morel,trout hunters/fishers & then throw in a couple of hikers or horse riders & it can shut down a give n area if they all use the land at the same time... that was the case at the 1st place i hunted i was lucky to even tag a bird there!!! wear my father got his bird in unit 1 was great turkey country we actually seen birds as we drove around the land like im used to!!! it was a good day we herd 1 other guy shoot we then went & caught a limit of trout & went home it was sweet!!!

ticklishtompro

Postby ticklishtompro » May 8th, 2012, 9:37 pm

In that county and a surrounding, there are lots of tracts of 40-80 acre public land surrounded by private land with a nice mix of agriculture, pines, hardwoods, swamps, and creek bottoms. There are some big woods also. I too prefer to stay away from the big woods, but do hunt it on occasion just for something a little different. You said your dad was disabled and most of these tracts have old roads going through for easy access. And there are always lots of tags available. I think there are still some this year in that unit for the last 2 seasons! Good luck to you.
ttcutomcalls.webs.com
Mossy Oak Prostaff

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 8th, 2012, 10:34 pm

thanks again tickleishtompro for the great info & i will have to give it a try for sure in the future & i do think there are some tags left over & or will be for the last 2 seasons
but my father & i are leaving for a out west merriams road trip hunt out to wyoming & nebraska we may just make 2 stops in separate parts of nebraska as they have tons of birds & liberal season lengths... so by the time we get home from that 10-14 day trip the wisconsin season will be over with... correct??? you could always hope the border in minnesota & buy a OTC tag for the last part of MAY the tags are unlimited & u just have to pick what season u want to hunt out of out last 4 seasons... if u want to hunt archery you dant have to even pick a season u can just hunt till you fill your tag the last 4 time periods...

you guys have it going on in WI for great turkey hunting & trout fishing & i will be back for sure... i will be get n a hunting dog in june & next season i dont think i will be able to travel as much or as far from home as i did this spring & wisconsin is just a short 2-4 hour drive at most for me & my dad so that will be in are cards next season for sure...

my father has battled throat cancer & was left with a treceoscopy to breathe like so he can not walk as far as he once was able to & so fourth so huge hills, long long 1 mile plus walks one way & rugged terrain are out of the question for him but he can & will still take his time & keep on walking & walking if he has to too get on turkeys
he can still walk if needed it just tires him out & 3-4 mid ranges walks in a wk-end is about all he can muster so...

the area sounds beautiful to me & i will have to do a little research & maybe ask u a few area specific questions via PM as there are always prying eye & on-line scouters viewing our posts... i herd good things about juneau & clark countys also i really dont want to travel any farther then the adams county area if possible...

thanks again for all the info & keep in touch & good luck to you in the up coming seasons in WI the birds were sure coming to the calls last wk if you could find & or hear them gobbleing...

turkey junky

Postby turkey junky » May 8th, 2012, 10:41 pm

sorry dont mean to mislead the number of tags for the MN season is unlimited in number but you can only harvest 1 turkey a season & once you pick a what season you want to hunt with a gun you are locked in to that 5 day season... its only with archery tags witch are unlimited also that you can hunt any 5 day hunt period you want to the last 4 time periods of the season but u can still only kill 1 turkey in MN...

also why we may skip the wyoming area trip is due to low low bird numbers so we may just hunt 2 areas of nebraska as they have a 3 bird limit & a season that runs threw may...

take care & good luck to you man!!!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 9th, 2012, 12:35 pm

So glad to hear you got your Dad turkey hooked; WI is hands down the best turkey hunting state so don't make yourself a stranger over here. There are 2 weeks left and thousands of surplus tags still available.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin